Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B technology and compatibility (merged thread)

JasonC wrote:

Which is not relevant to Europe where there is no TIS-B.

Agree, but it is relevant to the reference reddit post.

KUZA, United States

Peter wrote:

Anyway this is getting off topic for ADS-B. Am I right there is no justification for a late warning with ADS-B unless at least one of the two installations is bodged?

TISB, not ADS-B. TISB is once every so often, ADSB is once per second. The Reddit dude is not dealing with direct ADS-B. With once per second, even missing a few here and there, I bet you would be able to reconstruct a loop with the data in the ether. Radar on the other hand, not so much. Remember TISB is generated from radar returns.

Edit: Radar will also not be able to maintain a track for an aerobatic maneuvering aircraft.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 22 Sep 17:30
KUZA, United States

Peter wrote:

Would ADS-B be any better?

For targets that are equipped with ADS-B Out, sure. I normally see targets on my GNS530W/GDL88 dual frequency ADS-B In out to 40 NM and further on the portable ADS-B with ForeFlight. So only ghosts and rapidly maneuvering non equipped aircraft sneak up on me.

KUZA, United States

Here’s the latest from FAA on ADS-B Out exemption for aircraft with no engine driven electrical system,. As with Mode C transponders, these aircraft will be exempted from the requirement.

I bought my first plane in 2002 IIRC and learned how to fly in it, negative electrical system & transponder, almost entirely in US airspace that would otherwise require Mode C. I plan to keep flying it in its present ultra-simple lightweight configuration and the FAA exemption for ADS-B being a mirror image of the existing exemption for Mode C will mean I can continue to base both my planes from the same Class D ATC airport and hangar, located within a ‘mandatory’ transponder area due to close proximity of Class B airspace. If that were not the case I’d have to sell it to a quieter area. My second plane is Mode C equipped and in due course will have to be ADS-B Out equipped to fly in my area, a pain in the neck, a significant cost, and tracking by N-number.

Maybe I will sell one anyway… If I sell the one that needs ADS-B Out then that’s the end of my worry. If I sell the other it’ll be in greater demand given explicit FAA clarification on the non-requirement for that plane, plus the sale will fund the ADS-B Project and the money left over will help pay down a rental propery mortgage

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Jan 06:24

Garmin have received EASA validation of their FAA Part 23 and 27 STC for the GTX335/345 for certified ADS-B OUT. The STC also includes the legacy GTX33/330 ES models including diversity variants.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Can you ask Shaun to switch it on in my 345?

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

From here

Obviously Europe can’t mirror this because most of its airspace differs from the above.

This is quite interesting too:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is it possible to have ADS-B IN without a GPS source?

I was told today by Avidyne that the Avidyne TAS605 “A” upgrade, with the (soon to be available, apparently – discussed elsewhere) ADS-B IN feature, will not need any GPS input to work.

How can this be done?

It is easy to see how you do with with Mode C targets. The relative height comes from the TAS6xx getting pressure altitude via Gray code (or via ARINC429, if you are lucky – there was a post on how, from an avionics guy in the USA, but I can’t find it) and that is as accurate as the two transponders. The azimuth comes from the four antennae; two resolving L-R and two resolving front-back, and you use the signal levels, and the TAS box gets the aircraft heading (via X/Y 400Hz, or ARINC429 if you are lucky). The distance comes from timing the return packet and that’s really accurate.

A Mode S target is of no additional help, except that the extra data can be used to display the target tail number, in very narrow situations (N-reg only, and only on some Avidyne display devices – not possible over ARINC429).

But with ADS-B IN, you get the target’s GPS position, but you can’t do a warning on it unless the TAS box has the “own ship” 3D position.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But with ADS-B IN, you get the target’s GPS position, but you can’t do a warning on it unless the TAS box has the “own ship” 3D position.

I dont think ADS-B out sends GPS altitude. It sends pressure altitude hence comparing that you the own ship only needs pressure sltitude input just like a normal TAS system.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

I dont think ADS-B out sends GPS altitude. It sends pressure altitude hence comparing that you the own ship only needs pressure sltitude input just like a normal TAS system

ADS-B Out includes Geometric altitude which is altitude above the WGS-84 ellipsoid. Position is latitude and longitude, so the aircraft position in space must be known. ADS-B Out requires a position source, it is expected to include latitude-longitude from a GPS. Own ship position could be determined from a 1090 Mhz receiver if it sniffed the ownship broadcasts or had an interface from the ADS-B Out device that included own ship position. The Avidyne transponder does not integrate a position source, but some transponders do such as the GTX345/335 (option), the Stratus ESG, the L3 Lynx.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message