Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA Owner Manufactured Parts = ability to repair equipment?

I don’t know how they did it in the old days, but that is what I have heard. The experimental category for amateur built aircraft didn’t come before sometime during 1960-1970. It wasn’t before 1976 that EAA organized a chapter in Norway. Before that, people just built and the aviation authority had to approve the aircraft. It can’ t have been that many though. The aviation authority still approve the aircraft, but the EAA makes things easier.

Peter wrote:

A homebuilt with a “certificate” can’t do this because it is not an ICAO compliant CofA. In this respect the “certificate” is no different from say a UK LAA Permit or any other bit of paper under which a homebuilt might be flying under.

This is not right. An aircraft receives an C of A when an “ICAO compliant” (or not) authority decides the aircraft to be airworthy. This is a much more fundamental paper than a permit to fly from a club consisting of enthusiasts. After that it is just like any other plane, but with restrictions regarding commercial operations and less strict maintenance regulations. It makes things much simpler for everybody.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

You would be creating a certified aircraft.

To my layman eyes, Annex 8 seems easier to comply with than CS-23 (considering just light aircraft). However, I never bothered to read (or skim through) the 9760.

5 years on… anyone has made use of this?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message