Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FF pressure transducer reading low

The fuel flow pressure transducer on my Lancair Columbia is reading low – seems 8gal/H @ 180K TAS is just a bit optimistic

Checked the Cessna Dealer price: : $850US

Anyone have any luck “fixing” these ?

Here’s a photo – can’t see much since it’s “insulated” with red RTV …

Last Edited by Michael at 09 May 10:04
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

A google / images for

fuel pressure sensor

digs out some vaguely similar stuff. That is how I usually trace stuff.

Is there a P/N on it, and how is the fuel connected to it? Is that little metal pipe behind it the fuel line?

More pics would be handy.

The bit behind the RTV sealant looks a bit like one of the UMA sensors – mentioned here I have a UMA sensor on a backup oil pressure gauge.

I doubt it can be fixed. But the OEM part won’t be anywhere near $850. More like $100-200.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pushed the Google search and , Voila! :

http://www.kavlico.com/kavlico-pressure/markets/transportation/after-sales#menu

It’s made by Kavlico in Minden, Germany .

Now if I can just figure out which model is the “generic” equivalent .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

A good bit of detective work

Personally, if I could redesign the system, I would use an aerospace grade transducer. These “lower cost” devices do fail, and you never know if there is a real problem or it is a duff sensor. Socata had a lot of fun with the oil pressure sensor… After about 3 of these, I installed a backup gauge, after which, naturally, the Socata one never failed again

Administrator

The industrial transducer in my Lancair is just $125 vs $850 from Cessna.

An Aerospace grade transducer would wind-up costing thousands !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Peter – I just ordered the transducer and I noticed that the Manifold Pressure transducer has almost the same PN :

P165-30A-E1A and P165-30G-E1A

Looking at the tech sheet, it’s easy to decipher the PN :

P165 = The transducer type, in this case it’s a SS ceramic pressure transducer;

30 = 30 psi Max range

A = Absolute pressure
G = Gage pressure

E1A = connector and fittings

So the question is : What is the difference between “Gage” pressure and “Absolute” pressure in this application ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

A gage device has two ports and measures the differential. Typically this is used to correct for ambient pressure variations, on the ground. The second port could be explicit or could be tiny vent hole. On my website is a writeup on the Socata oil pressure transducer and you will see it there.

In the MP application I am prob99 sure it should be an absolute (unvented) transducer. For oil pressure I would say the same but clearly some people think otherwise, and it’s an interesting discussion whether the oil pressure relief valve is absolute or differential. The spring constant itself is obviously absolute.

Administrator

On my website is a writeup on the Socata oil pressure transducer and you will see it there.

I did, hence why I thought you would know this

In the MP application I am prob99 sure it should be an absolute (unvented) transducer. For oil pressure I would say the same but clearly some people think otherwise, and it’s an interesting discussion whether the oil pressure relief valve is absolute or differential.

The parts manual is indeed calling for the “A” absolute on the MP, whilst the FF pressure is “G” gage.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

PS: Just thought of something: What if the vent got plugged (on the FF pressure gage type transducer) with say red silicone (see photo above), would that cause the indicator to under read ?

Last Edited by Michael at 16 May 10:59
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message