Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Liquid Moly products - are they any good?

This was first mentioned here and indeed I saw them “everywhere” at the Zell am See airport.

They do various cleaning products, but significantly also engine oil additives which make amazing claims.

I can totally believe their cleaning products are functional; getting crap off a plane is not rocket science (although I have not found anything which dissolves and removes pidgeon and seagull sh1t – nasty acidic stuff which sets hard, eats into the paint leaving irreversible damage within a day or two, and contains hard particles so rubbing it off aggressively just makes a mess of the paint) but there is a long history of “snake oil” additives for engine oil. For example Mystery Marvel Oil has been thoroughly discredited once the company was legally required to publish the constituents (which include perfume!).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If engine additives are so good why aren’t the big oil company’s putting them in the oil they sell ?

I think that most of these things give little advantage and the ones that do ( like the lycoming anti spalling additive ) have been taken up by the likes of shell in the W15/W50 and Aeroshell plus oils.

It is far more advantageous to spend money on more regular oil changes than use these additives ………. But that is just my opinion !

Liqui Moly’s business is to put standard stuff in 100s of different small bottles, give them a fancy name and sell at horrendous prices. They are rather successful in the car business.

It’s like producing ordinary soap and selling it as “hand cleaner” and “foot cleaner”.

I use their Speed Wax and Window Cleaner regularly and I think that Speed Wax produces a very smooth surface. It’s not cheap with € 25 per can, but will last for cleaning/polishing the plane two times over.

In between i use mild dishwashing soap and water only. Everything else is a waste of money. But if you use ONLY the soap then the surface/paint dries out after a while, which is actually not good for the paint.

Dishwashing soap contains salt to thicken it and to help make those glasses squeaky clean. Car shampoo is almost as cheap and a better bet in my view.

Dishwashing soap + water = corrosion.

As said above in contains salt.

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message