Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

WX500 actually dead

Dear all: my X500 seems to be “dead” – I already took it out of the adapter for possible slack joints, but that didnĀ“t help.
Has someone a suggestion if or how I could check for an internal problem of the Goodrich-Box or of the wiring?

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

I have emailed you some stuff, @Chris, but in essence you would have to do a bench setup something like this

The above is from the TB20GT MM, January 2003 (Socata ended their work on the TBs about then). You will need somebody familiar with electronics, obviously. You may need to provide a valid X/Y/400HZ heading source (the more complicated bit) in order to get “something” coming out because I recall getting a similar error years ago and it turned out to be the crappy MD26 inverter

The MD26 needs to be fitted when the WX500 is fitted because the KG102A gyro doesn’t have enough power on its 400Hz output to drive all the other stuff (HSI, RMI maybe, WX500, KMD550).

The KMD550 has a installer mode (the password is in its IM) and you can see if it is getting a valid heading signal etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Before doing Peter suggestions, the WX-500 has diagnostic LEDs, have a look for the obevious first, does the thing power up? (LED 1 should be on, LED 7 should be off, LED 8 should be alternating ON/OFF about once per second.
Others might flash randomly.

The heading input is optional.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Txs to Jesse & Peter for the very helpful stuff.
Currently the thing seems not to power up (no LEDs) – Is there a method to put the unit e.g. on external power on the mating connector on the back outside of the mounting tray, and if possible, to which?
@Peter: Where is the MD26 inverter located in the TB20?

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

I emailed you the manuals, @Chris. The connections are in there.

The MD26 is normally mounted on the cockpit side of the firewall, but could be elsewhere. It’s visually very obvious. You need an oscilloscope to check its output.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message