Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do aircraft gain weight?

… because additions come naturally, but (as for humans) it is very hard for a plane to loose any weight?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Germany requires all aircraft to get a fresh W&B every 5 years. Not the worst of all rules… This also means that when buying a D-reg you can actually trust the W&B.

Last Edited by achimha at 24 Aug 11:20

Achim, that depends a bit on who did the calculation. I have recently found in several pre purchase inspections faked w&b reports (e.g. the same masses to a precision of 10 grams on all tires 3 weightings in a row ; removed tow hook without apparent influence…). But at some time you just know what companies fake w&b reports…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Jesse wrote:

Some aircraft seem to have calculated weight & balance from the factory, instead of actual measurement.

I might be too optimistic but I do not think this is true. No quality system will allow the aircraft to fly away with just theoretical weight. The other issue is what happens to the actual weight protocol during the life of the aircraft – as this is usually inserted piece of paper and some people are rather to believe the printer master page..

LKKU, LKTB

Jesse wrote:

In these cases the new empty weight, or your W&B for flight will be incorrect, as you used incorrect figures to start with.

Garbage IN > garbage OUT

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michal wrote:

I might be too optimistic but I do not think this is true. No quality system will allow the aircraft to fly away with just theoretical weight. .

@Michal – If you don’t believe it then just grab any Original POH with W&B from any Cessna/Beech/Piper, etc. built in the last 60 years and have a look for yourself.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

W&B from any Cessna/Beech/Piper,

that´s the problem – there is an optimistic number as master in the POH which needs to be updated with actual number for given tailnumber. But this is add-on paper getting (sometimes by purpose) lost. Some manufactures write it into the POH directly but not all.

LKKU, LKTB

Someone forgot to drain the TKS tank before doing a measurement which suddenly made my aircraft weigh 30 kg more..

Regarding initial weight of composite planes, someone once told me that there can be quite some variation between tail numbers because the lamination is a manual process whereby there is a difference between craftspersons as to how much material (in particular the resin) is put into the molds. I am not sure this can really be a significant factor. A few kgs at most? Plus, different craftspersons do different parts, so a person that tends to use a lot of resin can influence only a part of the weight of the whole aircraft. I do seem to remember though that Diamond weighs all aircraft rolling off the production line, so maybe there is some truth in individual differences in airframes caused by the production process..

Last Edited by aart at 25 Aug 08:09
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I have some trouble imagining that. Professional production today uses vacuum bagging. Using the same molds, the same products (glass cloth plus resin plus hardener), the same tools, the same amount of “vacuum” for the bagging, results must be quite consistent.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

If hand laminated, the vacuum bagging just reduces the air in the resin, it doesn’t control the amount of resin. If you use a vacuum injection method, then the result would be better, but still accumulates a couple of kilos difference due to different flow patterns, impact of the fibre orientations and such. What you are looking for are pre-pregs that aren’t used in certified aircraft very much, yet.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message