Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VEGA landing/taxi light

Home sick today, sneezing all over the place. Then UPS came with a packet from ACS. Lots of nuts and bolts and one gem, the VEGA landing/taxi LED from AVEO. Took a picture of it together with a small Kleenex package, just to show how tiny it is. It’s basically lots of electronics baked into a polycarbonate block. I also have the position/strobe/nav light from AVEO, they go on the wingtips. With these 3 units, weighing probably 300 grams in total, using almost no power, I have full lighting using state of the art technology. Super easy to mount, requires tiny wires.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Do you mean the PCB is overmoulded in polycarbonate?

What is the melting point of polycarbonate?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes. It’s like those amber pieces with insects in them, only the insect is electronics/leds and the amber is polycarbonate. The melting point is 155 deg C according to wikipedia

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The reason I asked is because I have extensive experience with overmoulded PCBs at work.

The injection temp of polycarbonate in the moulding machine barrel is +285C (just asked our moulder – he says no way +155C) and the melting point of normal tin/lead solder is +177C. Lead free solder (the “ROHS” stuff – SAC305 is normally used) is a bit higher but still below +285C.

Administrator

I have an original 100 € bill inside a polycarbonate block. If anybody knows how to melt it without destroying the bill, let me know

Aveo make very nice lamps, I have one, too but they are very expensive!

I don’t think this is heat-injected plastic. Rather polyurethane or something similar which is mixed from two components and cures at room temperature. Like that stuff here: http://www.intertronics.co.uk/products/opt4210.htm

EDDS - Stuttgart

I don’t know what it is exactly. Aveo calls it Diamidium™, I only assumed it was some kind of polycarbonate (used in all kinds of lightings), but it could of course be some polyurethane.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Yes I think so too.

I have enquired and there is no obvious injection mouldable clear plastic which is injected at less than about +225C.

There was ways to overmould populated PCBs (obviously – everybody and their dog in China is doing it) but it involves protecting the soldered areas with tape, and the yield is still not 100% even then. The result will of course not be clear and clean like LeSving’s example.

I do like those LED lamps. The TBM900 has got them and they are French so they must be stylish and fashionable

We should now have a debate on the certification issues – are there PMA replacements for the popular Wheelen strobe units?

I can’t see PMA being applicable because clearly it won’t be identical. But then same goes for landing and taxi lights which are a “done deal” now except for the most anally retarded inspectors.

Administrator

…. Aveo calls it Diamidium™

A quick google search finds this: " … come encased in a clear Diamidium™ epoxy resin …" (Theoretically I should know these things as I work for a company that makes heat-injected plastic parts. But I am only the driver )

EDDS - Stuttgart

Hmm. That’s kind of strange. Epoxy is tougher than polyurethane (mechanical and chemical), but only polyurethane is 100% UV resistant.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message