Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GTN series V3 software approval by EASA

GTN V4 announced

So now in EASA land we will could be running two versions behind.

Talking to our avionics people last week there have heard there is a meeting now arranged between EASA and Garmin to discuss V3. Don't hold your breath.

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)

Apparently 4 people from Garmin US held that meeting with EASA a while back to thrash this out. Since then EASA have done nothing to issue the necessary paperwork (what ever paperwork is needed where already FAA approved).

Pathetic incompetence even by EU standards.

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)

Something funny is going on, because Garmin got the EASA AML STCs for the GTN boxes.

EASA would previously have granted AML STCs only over their dead body.

So how did Garmin get the AML STCs?

I think that

• Garmin "had very good contacts who are no longer there", or

• EASA granted the AML STCs on some bizzare conditions which Garmin are no longer able or willing to meet (e.g. my post #6)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Garmin told me over the weekend at Sywell that they are skipping v3 in Europe and going straight to v4, which they now expect to have approved around the end of June.

They also claim they should have an EASA AML STC for the GNC/GTR radios at the same time. The list of airframes should be the same.

I'll believe it all when I see it... But if they do pull off 2 AML STCs then EASA will have no excuse for refusing anyone else - this could make a huge difference to the availability of equipment in Europe.

EGEO

Avidyne (IFD boxes) and Honeywell (KSN770) both said they are going for EASA AML STCs too.

Whether the two above will ever deliver is another matter but they all seem to have discovered some process for doing it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

According to Avidyne .. Garmin went to EASA and simply stated that they would either go for the AML or no GTN would go to the EASA-reg.

It looks like that argument won.

According to Avidyne .. Garmin went to EASA and simply stated that they would either go for the AML or no GTN would go to the EASA-reg.

Good for Garmin! I expect that argument was followed up with ...and nobody in Europe will be able to fly LPV approaches, because the paperwork will continue to be impossible...

Garmin win and EASA win (and so do we, but I get the feeling that didn't really matter for these negotiations).

EGEO

Maybe Garmin also told EASA to never certify the Avidyne IFD440?

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message