Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wire stripper

Is this Aircraft Spruce Stripmaster any good for Tefzel avionics wire?

Or, should I consider a different brand/model?

G

Yes that one is the best. I’ve been in electronics since the 1960s and have had a fair few strippers in that time

Most strippers are crap, especially the “self adjusting” ones.

The one you are looking at is the best for wire with a stiff insulation of Tefzel, PTFE, etc. The downside is that you may need two sets of jaws.

Beware of cheap chinese versions (down to €10) which are common, but useless. The A/Spruce price is not low which suggests it might be OK but one can’t tell from the pic. I think I paid GBP 100 for my last one – probably this one which is “blades extra”! and is also called “Stripmaster”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter, I happen to have a €12 Chinese version bought locally at a well-reputed electronics store, and it seems to work just fine, reliably stripping the insulation without damaging the wire. What’s your gripe about them? Maybe I’m overlooking something…

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

What I found was that when doing very thin PTFE-insulated wire, say 0.5mm OD, the alignment of the two blades obviously becomes important. No reason why it can’t be done for €12, I am sure. Equally the RS stuff is usually overpriced. And avionics wire is not normally that thin… probably 1mm OD minimum.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I see. In mine, the blades are self-aligning using extra matching teeth between the stripping notches.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message