Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine temperature ranges?

You have an IO360 and you fit a new EFIS. As part of the installation process you have to set up the yellow and red indicators for CHT and EGT.
What figures would you use? (please don’t say, “the ones in the POH” because there isn’t one!

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 15 Feb 20:53
Forever learning
EGTB

You would find CHT figures at the engine TCDS, not sure on EGT.

JPI has some suggestion on default values as well.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Here is a link to the operators manual.. I think page 3-6 and on may give you some info on which to base a decision.

I can’t recall ever seing EGT gages (at least not in the usual Cessna/Piper singles) that have yellow or red markings. Some of them don’t even have fixed scales but instead there is a little knob with which you can bring the pointer inside the visible range. So I think that an engine which can be leaned to peak EGT does not require colour coding of the EGT indicator.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Stickandrudderman wrote:

please don’t say, “the ones in the POH” because there isn’t one!

Well, there is a manual for the engine, isn’t there?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

CHT Yellow: 360F
Red: 400F

The values in the engine manual are much too high if you want your cylinders to survive until TBO. I think Mike Busch wondered if that was because engine manufacturers want to sell engines and replacement parts.

Absolute EGT is meaningless. I would not be able to connect a colour range to any EGT reading.
Remember, it’s not a real constant temperature reading but an averaged indication of the combustion cycle. For example, increasing RPM will increase EGT reading. However, the gases are not hotter in the cylinder.

As CHT’s are a constant reading, here a colour range can work.
It is generally accepted these days that 380F is the point to do something to reduce temps.
400F is a no go area.
Of course engine manufacturer’s limiting max temps are much higher.

Bah. Who cares about cylinders. They are consumables. Fedex delivers overnight and we all have a mechanic friend who changes them for free.

Bah. Who cares about cylinders. They are consumables. Fedex delivers overnight and we all have a mechanic friend who changes them for free.

Obviously you are taking the p1ss.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Come to think of it, may be EGT should be RED when at or near nil reading.

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message