Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GTX345 ADS-B Transponder

boscomantico wrote:

Wow. 6k just for the transponder. Almost nobody will retrofit that.

FWIW and until somebody comes out with something better (with integrated GPS, ADS-B in/out, traffic/weather Bluetooth to Foreflight and same form factor as a King Mode-C) the GTX345 is my plan… but there’s a lot of time until 2020. In the US my perception is that almost everybody is waiting, doing nothing for now. The $500 FAA payment is indicative of desperation on their part. I don’t actually care if I make the change after the deadline.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Aug 20:54

Yes, but I was referring to that “ADSBMZ” from the land of GA destruction..

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

Is there TIS in Europe?

No

Peter wrote:

Also, what is the precise applicability of ADS-B-IN? You can display ADS-B radiating traffic (which in GA is growing from zero to “almost nobody”) but only on a compatible display device.

Correct, apart from direct aircraft to aircraft ADS-B it will also receive traffic broadcast from groundstation (in the US), like TIS. So you will also see non ADS-B traffic. You also can receive weather information (in the US).

It is a nice system, would be good if they did the same in EU.

So you can not complain this system with your non ADS-B agrument. Apart from that quite some aircraft have ADS-B out. Maybe not in the UK, but in the Netherlands their are quite some with ADS-B, and in Germany I see them even more. Under the glider community, almost all that have transponder, also have ADS-B out.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Peter wrote:

Will it get merged with the display on an Avidyne TAS605 box?

No, you can only have one traffic source. So the traffic must be mixed before the display part, what some systems do, like the Garrecht TRX systems. One must indicate the duplicates on aircraft which you receive in multiple ways. And show only the most accurate one.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

you can only have one traffic source

We did this here before. I believe Garmin make a module which can merge ADS-B data (from some Garmin ADS-B receiver) with traffic data from an Avidyne TAS6xx box, and the merged data is fed to the MFD already used to display the TAS data.

What you obviously won’t get is audio warnings from the TAS box for the ADS-B target(s) because the TAS box is not seeing them

A better solution would be to spend a few k to upgrade the TAS box to receive ADS-B. There is a thread here on that too; it’s not cheap but apparently it does exist, after Avidyne have been promising it for years, IIRC.

So I still wonder what use is the GTX345 in Europe. It is not a specially cheap solution, especially after you pay quite a few hundred or more for the extra GPS antenna which serves no use outside the GTX345. This is a major issue for more people than are aware of it. By the time you have installed TCAS (and put the antennae in the right place for that) there isn’t much room. If I install 2×IFD540 one day, I will end up with one antenna on the top of the cowling (right under the window) and that’s about it…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not much use in Europe, but you don’t have to buy it.

For the same price you’re much better off with a L3 9000 which gives you TAS (way better than Avidyne’s), ADSB and Mode S all in the same box.

Peter wrote:

I believe Garmin make a module which can merge ADS-B data (from some Garmin ADS-B receiver) with traffic data from an Avidyne TAS6xx box, and the merged data is fed to the MFD already used to display the TAS data.

The GTX-345 does that.
Their own GTS unit can does active traffic (TAS like) and ADS-B, just like the TAS A boxes.

Peter wrote:

What you obviously won’t get is audio warnings from the TAS box for the ADS-B target(s) because the TAS box is not seeing them

In the A models it does. On the none A models like yours, you will still see them as a normal mode S. Remember ADS-B is additional to mode S in Europe. Unlike in the US, where you have UAT (978 MHz) as an alternative. UAT is not supported in Europe.

Peter wrote:

So I still wonder what use is the GTX345 in Europe. It is not a specially cheap solution, especially after you pay quite a few hundred or more for the extra GPS antenna which serves no use outside the GTX345.

The GTX345 has optionally an GPS, standard it is without GPS. So if you have a WAAS GPS, you would use that one as source, instead of the internal one. It is a dual band unit which support UAT (978) MHz and 1090 MHz.

In Europe one has to get approval from the telecom agency to have this kind of equipment, as 978 MHz is generally not allowed in Europe. Europe lacks ADS-R and TIS-B, so you won’t have the advantages as you would have in the US.

The benefits of GTX-345 could also be having connext, which offers bluetooth. The internal AHRS can be used to supply the Garmin Pilot app for position and attitude.

Peter wrote:

By the time you have installed TCAS (and put the antennae in the right place for that) there isn’t much room.

If you have ADS-B, ADS-R and TIS-B as in the US, there isn’t much need for TAS anymore. Beware that TCAS is not the same as TAS, and TCAS is commonly only used in high end general aviation.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Jesse wrote:

No, you can only have one traffic source. So the traffic must be mixed before the display part, what some systems do,

Just to clear up, the GTX-345 can merge different traffice sources. Your display can not, and accept only on source. So when the GTX-345 is Garrecht TRX is used to merge traffic, this merged data can be send to the display on a single port.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

GTX 345 gives you ADSB in and out, and both TIS-A and TIS-B. GTX330 only gives you ADS-B out (if you have the Extended Squitter version) and access to TIS-A (which is going to be discontinued).

Mode S TIS (AKA TIS-A) is not available with the GTX345. Mode S TIS is not going away any time soon. As far as I know, both Mode S TIS and ADS-B TISB are only available in the US. Mode S TIS is integrated into the software for about a 100 Mode S radar sites. A few sites had their older radar systems updated to ASRS-11 and these sites no longer support TIS.

KUZA, United States

Peter wrote:

Is there TIS in Europe?

Also, what is the precise applicability of ADS-B-IN? You can display ADS-B radiating traffic (which in GA is growing from zero to “almost nobody”) but only on a compatible display device. Will it get merged with the display on an Avidyne TAS605 box?

Not as far as I am aware, TIS is a US thing as is TISB.

ADS-B In will have limited applicability outside of US except for potential air carrier usage.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message