Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trig TY96 intercom

The Cessna 150 has a narco 12d and a Bendix 12C adf and a portable ps engineering intercom.

The adf works great but the display on the 12D is on its way out.

So looking at replacing it with a Trig TY96 and using the inbuilt intercom.

Would this allow the ADF to be indented? Or would we need to get a separate audio panel?

I also tempted to (if I can agree a price) replace the Bendix 12C with a king kr87 and adding a king kn64 DME. If we went down this route would we need a separate audio panel?

Last Edited by Bathman at 06 Mar 10:14

No the TY-96 will have auxiliary input which you can use for ADF.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Why do you want too add DME? Seems more senseable to have a GPS instead. (Not meaning to replace DME by GPS). It just seems that you want to have it VFR only?
Replaced the MK-12D by TY-96 will also remove the NAV receiver. The TY-96 is COM only.

I would recommend you to stick with the old ADF as long as it will work fine. Replacing the excisting ADF by another one will be quite labour extensive, for no good reason. You would be wasting money on old technology.

Last Edited by Jesse at 06 Mar 10:30
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Thank you.

Could the auxillary input also be used for the DME as well?

Yes you would think so. But the aircraft used primarily for training where we use adf alot.

Bathman wrote:

Could the auxillary input also be used for the DME as well?

It would best to have this switched, so, ADF – OFF – DME that would be the easiest solution.

Bathman wrote:

But the aircraft used primarily for training where we use adf alot.

Understand, but what would be the reason to replace the good working ADF (working great) by another form factor? You would waste a couple of days work for IMHO no good reason?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

It was a case of we had been offered one but as you suggest we may as well stick with what we have got

I’ve also had a PM saying that trig are about to bring out a Nav Com so we might be better off holding off and fitting one of those.

Many thanks for your replies

I have used a number of intercoms that are fitted to radios and while being adequate the performance is not stunning in terms of audio quality.

My take on your situation is that the PS engineering audio panel that remotely controls a Trig TY 96 transmitter would give you the audio gold standard while using the very good trig radio. ( I’m not sure of the product part number but a quick trawl of the PS engineering web sight will also tell you it has an EASA TSO)

It also has a number of remote audio inputs that can be used for inputs ( these you could remotely switch ).

The new ADF & DME is not as expensive as one might think, the Americans are taking this stuff out an going down the totally GPS road so there are some bargains to be had on the second hand market.

Thanks A and C for your referral!

The PAR200A is our audio panel that has our hi-fi stereo intercom with Bluetooth for music streaming and telephone, and controls remote mounted Trig TY-91L.

The benefits are reduced cost, panel space, and weight.

It hold EASA approval with a list price of $2995 US

PAR200A

I am here to answer any technical questions. I will have this audio panel at Air Team, Avionik-Straubing, and Adams Aviation at AERO Friedrichshafen this April 20-23

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.

PS Engineering, Inc.
KTYS Knoxville, TN
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message