Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Changing Aircraft category types on a Garmin GNS430

Peter,

Thanks. I was surprised to see two different procedures starting at the same initial fix, one for A/B and the other for C/D. We wouldn't have this occur in our approaches, TERPS would make two charts and by convention the procedures would have the added differentiator defined with Z, Y, X ... as part of the procedure name. Tricky stuff.

KUZA, United States

That is very interesting. I cant recall if there were two transitions for SND in my GNS430 database, there were certainly the other waypoint transitions though. I will check next time I fly.

If there had been two I would have instinctively chosen the first one, which in the example above on the GNS530 would have been the A,B procedure, and thats not what I saw in flight. However I also recall the end of the descent outbound from the beacon was not D6.9, which is what the current AIP plate has for both the A,B and C,D procedures and our database is up to date.

The distances in the database are distances from SND and aren't the DME distance which is measured from ISO, so they will be greater than the DME distance at D6.9 ISO.

I tried using the GNS530 trainer, but it has a database in 2006. It only showed an ILS 24 and a NDB 6. Loading both of these only showed SND in the database once. It is possible that the GNS430/530 don't support the duplicate SND transitions, you can check this out by going to your airplane and going thru the procedure loading process to see what choices you have. If only one, you could always upgrade your unit to a GNS430W. If it proves out that the GNS430 doesn't have both in the database, I would inquire to Garmin if this is an error or that they just don't support it with the non WAAS units.

KUZA, United States

If it proves out that the GNS430 doesn't have both in the database, I would inquire to Garmin if this is an error or that they just don't support it with the non WAAS units.

Will do. I wont be heading down to the aircraft until the weekend. Mine is GNS430W.

Since it is a GNS430W, I am confident it has two SND transitions. I will await your report.

KUZA, United States

I popped down to the aircraft and there were 2 SND IA transition points, so the 2nd one is likely to be the CAT A,C approach. THat was useful to find out :-)

It's the same for the ILS 26 at Exeter. The second transition is for Cat A.

I discovered that doing a hold and ILS before landing there for my IR last week!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I had the same problem this week in Leeds/Bradford EGNM. Two procedures in the GNS430W, one for CAT A/B and the other for CAT C/D. The GNS does not show me which is which until I load it and compare the outbound course for the procedure turn. This time the 2nd was for CAT A but in the list of procedures the two entries were identical.

That is very annoying. I wish there was a way to tell the device to not show procedures for CAT C/D or at least mark them.

I get the same at Oxford with two different outbound headings from the OX IAF. It is a bit easier to see on the G1000 than it used to be on the GTN650s. But I am also surprised there is not a better way to differentiate the two categories.

EGTK Oxford

We don't have that problem, the procedures get different name suffixes and aren't charted on the same approach charts. IMHO, this is a charting issue.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message