Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ELT / PLB (merged)

Mandatory in Switzerland. I believe in Austria too.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Affirm for Austria.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

So must I understand some countries (Netherlands, Austria) make it an airspace requirement, while others (Germany) make it a registration requirement? Long live confusion!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Mandatory for SE-reg.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Mandatory for N-reg worldwide, though only 121.50 at present which is slightly useless for practical purposes. Most European based N-regs will have a 121.50+406MHz one, and some will have the older 121.50+243+406MHz one. I believe 243 is no longer monitored.

What was really funny was that when I got my plane, 2002, it came with an ELT, but the UK CAA said an ELT is illegal so they demanded it to be removed (along with demanding the KLN94 is set to VFR-only because a TB20 is not allowed to fly IFR, and wanted EXIT stickers next to the doors). Then when I went N-reg I went through the silly business in the above link. One avionics shop wanted to do a DER 8110 package for the mounting of the ELT and its new antenna, saying AC43 is only a “repairs” manual and not allowed for new work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The place it is likely to come up is in a VFR flight plan that crosses the Dutch border. I had one rejected until I ticked the ‘ELT’ box. After that I fitted an ELT (In the existing mounting tray where the original N-reg had been, and had been removed under CAA edict!). Now I can tick the box without having to mis-understand PLB = ELT!

There’s also a story about G-regs being ramp checked at Texel over this, but I believe it’s OK to fly in Holland without one, just not OK to cross the border.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

After six years the battery of my ELT Kannad 406 AF Compact had to be replaced. After changing the battery performance of the ELT was tested as too weak.
I send the ELT for repair to a well known avionic shop. One week later I was told that a repair is not possible, it must be exchanged for a new, quote 539 Euro +VAT.
I find it hard to believe that a repair is not possible. Any suggestions ?

Berlin, Germany

Peter wrote:

because a TB20 is not allowed to fly IFR

!?

Explain!

Andreas IOM

highflyer wrote:

I find it hard to believe that a repair is not possible. Any suggestions ?

The repair of these units can indeed be more expensive then a new ELT. Did you have to pay for the battery as well? One would test the unit first, if it is ok, then swap the battery and perform final testing. So you should IMHO either get yourself a new ELT, not a new battery + new ELT.

Was the battery installed by a Kannad service point, or did you replace the battery yourself? And got an error during selftest?

At a shop the battery replacement would be part of six year periodic inspection and would be more than just installing a new battery.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Aveling wrote:

There’s also a story about G-regs being ramp checked at Texel over this, but I believe it’s OK to fly in Holland without one, just not OK to cross the border.

There are ramp checks of foreign aircraft as well, that is correct. The Netherlands requires an ELT for international flights, all commericial flights and all aircraft with a first C of A after July 1st 2018. The latter is also an ICAO requirement, so for such aircraft you just can not get rid of the ELT. All Dutch ELT requirements can be found in AIC-B 07/08

An PLB is no ELT, and can be usefull as an addition. Whatever you use, be sure that is registered correctly, and update the register. Incorrect data on the ELT or PLB programming will delay the SAR activation! This is very important, and goes wrong quite frequently.

Alex_ wrote:

With a fresh annual just completed I need to arrange for my ELT battery to be changed in about 4 months time….which got me thinking where is an ELT actually compulsory? Holland, Austria?

I would recommend to have the batteries changed. Having an ELT and having it correctly programmed can save a lot of time in SAR actions. There are several examples where programming and having an ELT could have saved time.
For flights above water, I would also recommend and PLB or Safelink. Safelink is a Kannad system which broadcast emergency message on AIS (marine version of ADS-B) such that nearby ships can see you are in destress and see your position.

Last Edited by Jesse at 18 Mar 16:19
JP-Avionics
EHMZ
Sign in to add your message