Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine overhaul / repair shop recommendation

Flyer59 wrote:

It’s ok in Germany if you rent it out on a private basis

Ok in Sweden too if the rental is non-commercial (e.g. non-profit club aircraft). Less clear if it is rented on a commercial basis, but should be ok even then as long as the actual flying is non-commercial.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Peter, I chose LOMA mainly because of the experience of the maintenance shop I am using, which has been good, and the references I took, which were also very good. They have also been in business for quite a long time and have approvals for overhaul of many accessories in house.

http://www.loma-air.com/main.htm

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

We’re needing an overhaul of an IO-360-L2A engine soon. The engine runs really well and we can accept some downtime, so we’ll do an actual overhaul rather than swapping it for a different overhauled engine.

Do you have any recommendations for good overhaul shops in Europe? Also, of course not unreasonably expensive as far as that is compatible with “good”.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 08 Apr 12:27

We’re needing an overhaul of an IO-360-L2A engine soon. The engine runs really well

I assume this is a commercially operated aircraft? In a private aircraft, why would one overhaul an engine that “runs well”?

In 5 years of ownership, we fortunately didn’t have to fund a complete overhaul (only 2 new cylinders and some other work in the first year). I’ve heard good things about Roeder Präzision though.

Last Edited by blueline at 08 Apr 12:40
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

blueline wrote:

I assume this is a commercially operated aircraft? In a private aircraft, why would one overhaul an engine that “runs well”?
It’s a club aircraft. At the moment, the Swedish CAA has time limits on how much an engine may exceed TBO. We might be able to get around that with a combination of part-NCO and a new maintenance program. We’re exploring both that option and the overhaul option.

In 5 years of ownership, we fortunately didn’t have to fund a complete overhaul (only 2 new cylinders and some other work in the first year). I’ve heard good things about Roeder Präzision though.

Thanks!

blueline wrote:

I’ve heard good things about Roeder Präzision though.

They’re in bankruptcy, and please DON’T ask me how I know …

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I have been criticised by German pilots for reporting this but I phoned them up about 2 years ago about a mag overhaul and the man told me in no uncertain terms that they deal with Germans, and in German, only. Apparently it was a rogue member of staff but IMHO every time he answered a phone call, their customer list would decrement by 1.

Sorry to hear, Michael, if you have been shafted and they have some of your gear. Been there, done that, a few times…

I use Barrett Precision in Oklahoma, USA, but they can’t issue an EASA Form-1. Only 8130-3. A top company though, and I did a lot of due diligence before I used them.

In the UK, there is roughly only one company with any kind of reputation: Nicholson McLaren.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here’s a shameless plug: the engine overhaul shop here at LKBU, which has been overhauling mostly Czech piston and turbine engines and an occasional Lycoming or Continental, has just formed an alliance with an engine shop in North Bohemia that has for the last 25 years been preparing motorsport racing engines and restoring WWII tank powerplants. Those guys are real fanatics of their job and know what they are doing, and their machine shop is second to none. It may be too early to call them an authority on aircraft engines, but I honestly hope we are witnessing the birth of another Nicholson McLaren – if they don’t jinx it on the management side, that is. I was promised a trainee position with them – no salary, but they will mentor me in overhauling my own O-360-A4K.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

My engine has just arrived back from LOMA

It has not ben run yet, it will be started next week for the first time.

I have not dealt with LOMA before, but the people rebuilding the aircraft have, and recommended them. I suppose I won’t know if they are the real deal for a while yet.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I’ve heard only good things about my Loma countrymen. But they are not based at an aerodrome so the engine would have to be uninstalled and I understood this was to be avoided. Not hindered by experience or actual interest in this class of operations, I think the CZ suggestion looks most attractive: CZ is a country of moderate prices yet has a strong tradition in technology.

Last Edited by at 08 Apr 20:14
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message