Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jump start adaptor - any good?

here

It enables a plane to be started from one or two car batteries (12V/24V systems respectively).

It weighs almost nothing and might be handy one day. One would use standard car jump leads.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I guess it’s cheaper to buy a standard connector alone, a commercial jump cable, cut one end off and connect it to the external porwer connector.

LSZK, Switzerland

True; you could buy just the plug

but then you need to connect the cables into it. I normally solder these (the plug has solder buckets, about 10mm diameter!) but you need either a massive soldering iron or a gas blowlamp. I’d say this is beyond most aircraft owners, hence my heads-up about the original item.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I’d say this is beyond most aircraft owners, hence my heads-up about the original item.

Agree, and it takes more space / weight with cables. You would need to find a battery anyway so likely you could also find some jumper cables when on a remote strip. For homeuse you could toss jumper cables in your car, always a good idea I would say.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Jesse wrote:

Agree, and it takes more space / weight with cables.

A plain plug is about 1lb, a Plug & Jump about 2lbs, a jumper cable about 4lbs.

It depends on the scenario. If you need it only at home, then mass is of little concern.

If you need it away from home, I’d take a jumper cable with me, while it’s relatively likely you find someone with a vehicle (at least 12V), it’s much less likely he also has a jumper cable handy. So I’d also take a jumper cable with me. In that case, the homemade solution saves around 1lb weight.

Peter wrote:

I’d say this is beyond most aircraft owners

Says someone who insists doing the annual yourself is the only sensible way to go

LSZK, Switzerland

as a hint if someone wants to build one with cables use earthing cables from mig welders much more flexible and durable as they are with rubber coating

fly2000
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message