Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Microcontroller based avionics

Hallo everybody,

I am a PhD student and want to do research in the topic of DAL A/B certification of microcontroller based avionic systems.

Objective:
Provide more helpful guidance for development of avionic system where a big portion of functions could be mapped to a COTS microcontroller.

Motivation:
The market share of general purpose microprocessores are shrinking. Microcontrollers have to be considered as a candidate for avioincs.

In order to get a feeling about the current usage of microcontrollers in DAL A/B avionic systems I would like to ask the avionic community about their experience.

We can get in a more detailed discussion if you are interested.

I am happy to read your comments.

Best wishes,

Andreas

What is DAL A/B ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

What is DAL A/B ?

Design Assurance Level. A is catastrophic, B is hazardous.

DAL = Design Assurance Level

For avionics, DO-254 stated development process that is a means of compliance to develop certifyable products that are compliant with airworthiness requirements.

DAL is also defined in context of DO-254 as described:

QuoteThere are five levels of compliance, A through E, which depend on the effect a failure of the hardware will have on the operation of the aircraft. Level A is the most stringent, defined as “catastrophic” (e.g. loss of the aircraft), while a failure of Level E hardware will not affect the safety of the aircraft. Meeting Level A compliance for complex electronic hardware requires a much higher level of verification and validation than Level E compliance.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DO-254

So I talk not about avionics for cabinet or comfort systems but rather about highly safety-critical systems like a flight control computer.

Last Edited by Andreas at 13 Apr 08:51

Andreas wrote:

So I talk not about avionics for cabinet or comfort systems but rather about highly safety-critical systems like a flight control computer.

I think this is the wrong place to get usefull feedback for your project. This forum is a group of end-user basically. It would be better to contact Aircraft Electronics Association This is an active organisation which represents most avionics manufacturers and avionics shops.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

What is COTS?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Commercial off the shelf.

I think avionics used in GA are a low way down (in design procedure terms) from the sort of avionics the OP is referring to.

GA autopilots can just crash and freeze, do fake self-diagnostics which confirm absolutely nothing, etc. Like this POS from Honeywell.

POS

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Jesse: Thank you for your advice.

So if somebody have also other tips about the right platform to discuss such topics feel free to post.

@Jan_Olieslagers: It is a abbreviation for Commercial off-the-shelf means standard products developed for a high volume market. More information see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_off-the-shelf

Peter wrote:

Commercial off the shelf.

Or: Crap off the shelf (in some cases!)

Andreas IOM

@T/S: be aware that this forum is about general aviation, i.e. small and even very small aircraft. Very small planes often are surprisingly simple, some have no electrics at all, perhaps carrying a battery powered monochrome GPS. My own plane has a radio and (sometimes ;) ) a transponder, but nothing else electronic. It can and has been flown without any electric circuit at all, in perfect safety.

There are however a good many projects around, creating GPS, EFIS, and more on very low cost standard hardware, like the Raspberry PI.

Last Edited by at 13 Apr 15:55
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message