Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Apparently incorrect material in Lyco cylinder head studs

Page 17 of this PDF is interesting...

However it has to be said that with the engine having a TT in the region of 10000 hours, it suprises me it still hangs together. Especially with the UK CAA allowing a 3000hr TBO for public transport operations, in this aircraft.

Also intresting is that the aircraft could not hold altitude (5500ft) with the prop not feathered on just one of the 3 engines.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The stud failure was apparently caused by lack of cadmium plating coverage, corrosion and high cycle fatigue. To me, this is a reminder not to run cylinder studs through 4 or 5 overhaul cycles before replacement, and to make sure all the studs are re-plated at any overhauls prior to replacement.

The history of the overhauls on this engine, who did them and what kind of overhauls, would be of interest to me if I were researching this failure. Overhauls can vary in quality, level of parts replacement etc, and this engine had logged an almost unbelievable 11,992 hrs total time. That's a lot of overhauls, and my guess would be that the cylinder studs had never been replaced, and possibly never replated. Although a quality overhaul would include sending all the fasteners to be cad plated, it's harder to find suitable suppliers now due to environmental regulations on plating shops.

2 Posts
Sign in to add your message