Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA maintenance UK

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum, good to meet you all!

We’ve just bought an N-reg Dakota which is based in the London area. The plane is in very good condition with a new engine / prop. How much would you budget for the annual? Any recommendations of where one should go?

Thanks!

EGTR

Welcome to EuroGA

I have asked my freelance A&P/IA (who is too busy right now to take on new work) and he says: “Normally basic single annual is about 40 hr plus any defects, I would budget for 3K”.

If you are N-reg and able to get involved in the maintenance issues, a freelance guy is your best bet, for the best quality work and lowest cost. That’s what I have been doing for 11 years. If you don’t want to / can’t get involved, then you need to use a company, and budget for 2x the cost.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have asked my freelance A&P/IA (who is too busy right now to take on new work) and he says: “Normally basic single annual is about 40 hr plus any defects, I would budget for 3K”.

40 hours for the basic annual inspection sounds awfully much for a fixed gear single.

Also: For how much does that guy work?
Say it were 75 pounds per hour. Then 40 hours alone would be 3k. No defects considered yet, no parts and materials considered yet. Does he really work for so much less? Wow!

Anyway, even if using a freelancer, I would not budget for 3k. I would budget for between 5 and 30k, and expect something between 5k and 12k. First annuals (after buying a used, 40 year old aircraft) always tend to be expensive. Just my 2 cents…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

Normally basic single annual is about 40 hr plus any defects

An entire working week? My experience is 8 hrs, one day, assuming owner assistance. It’s an inspection, not a scheduled overhaul.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Aug 16:12

I would budget for between 5 and 30k

30k only if he buys a 40 year old wreck on Ebay and without a prebuy

I don’t think a UK freelancer will charge £75/hr. That would be a company rate, especially if you include 20% VAT.

Also, the materials on a SEP Annual aren’t more than a few hundred £ normally. Of course if there is remedial work then it could be anything, but everybody knows that. That is largely why you do a good prebuy: you find defects and knock the selling price down accordingly.

The remaining “30k possibility” is getting a wrecked engine; that’s hard to avoid with a prebuy directly, but one can minimise that by looking at the flight logs and the general situation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you’re in the south east, you could do worse than give Ian Chaplin a call, and then pay him a visit. His company, General Aero Services (Thurrock EGMT) has N-reg customers from as far afield as Cumbria and Kirkcudbrightshire.

In the last five years or so I’ve seen GAS invest in a new maintenance hangar and a posh tarmac runway, so I guess I’m not their only satisfied customer.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

This time we went for a ‘big company’ and the invoice was £4.5k. A couple of things needed to be done, though the pre-buy had come out super clean and anything that needed doing, we did.

We were in a hurry this time so didn’t have a chance to shop around, will certainly consider alternatives / freelancer next time.

Thanks again for you thoughts / opinions!

EGTR
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message