Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is "infrequent use"?

Oh boy, you propagate here, that with an Experimental you have to be prepared to tinker all the time

EDLE

Oh boy, you propagate here, that with an Experimental you have to be prepared to tinker all the time

With certifieds, being a tinkerer is optional, not always possible (politically or legally), but saves you a lot of money if you can do it. Easier to do it on N-reg.

With non-certifieds, being a tinkerer (in fact, being a competent mechanic + avionics designer and installer) is mandatory if you are to achieve the cost savings which the owners like to mention, while having a relatively safe and reliable aircraft. If you take your RV / Lancair / whatever to a dealer for everything (a 50hr check, €500, an Annual, €5000, etc) then what have you got? All you have is a different sort of plane, not available as certified. Well, you get much cheaper avionics (and a cheaper engine – I spoke to one RV10 owner the other day) but that is a one-off cost.

But this is OT here because any device attached to the exhaust or to the breather is removable, so there isn’t an issue.

What surprises me is that nobody seems to make a battery powered thingy. I am sure the vast majority of owners have no means of connecting mains power and that includes the majority of hangared owners (I personally know one pilot in N. Germany who does have it). In the 14 years I have had my plane, hangared the whole time, I never had an opportunity to connect mains power continuously. In fact I would get chucked out of the hangar instantly had I tried that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Will something solid dropped into the oil filler end up in the sump? I had the dipstick break, and the rod fell in, but something prevented it falling right down, and I could reach it with my fingers. (O200).
PS up till then I never checked the dipstick before flying, just the oil level on it.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I am sure the vast majority of owners have no means of connecting mains power and that includes the majority of hangared owners (I personally know one pilot in N. Germany who does have it). In the 14 years I have had my plane, hangared the whole time, I never had an opportunity to connect mains power continuously.

Excuse me for raising an eyebrow – in my hangar there are power outlets (230V~, single phase, at least 6 amps and probably 16) freely available, and some planes have a trickle charger semi-permanently attached with croco clips on the battery. Now of course I can’t be sure about other places but I have no reason to think my situation exceptional. Rather, I see another confirmation for the UK’s oddity – and more and more I respect those who CAN manage to own and operate a plane in such an uncouth environment

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
On our airfield there are about 10 hangars and most of them have turntables for the aircraft. We had single and three phase sockets in the previous and present hangar. Would have been no problem for permanent battery charging, except you could not practically do that because of the turntable while you are absent. I guess minimum single phase power is installed in all of the hangars. But then the place is owned by the town and county, no private owner. With the big Yak they get € 270.- per month from us. Unfortunately this a one hour drive from home – the Munich region is not great for GA . . . Vic
vic
EDME

Maoraigh wrote:

Will something solid dropped into the oil filler end up in the sump?

In a Lyc. IO-360, yes.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message