Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Faulty oil control ring ?

Hi,

During annual, I noticed that the spark plugs on cylinder 4 were noticably darker than the other 3. I decided to use a borescope and I saw oil on the cylinder bore as the piston goes down.

Engine is a Lycoming IO360 with 500h SOH with new cylinders. The other 3 cylinders look clean.

It’s not clear to me if it’s a stuck or broken ring.

Would you do/try anything else before pulling that cylinder ?

A broken ring will usually show a deep scratch on the cylinder wall .

That said, you will probably be pulling the cylinder for a ring job in both cases.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I have always seen some oil on the cylinder wall, immediately after the piston comes down, looking through the spark plug hole. I thought that was normal

This may be worth a read. My engine went to 1 quart every hour, and after the “remedial action” is now back to 1 quart every 5 hours, and no cylinders were pulled.

How much oil are you losing?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

have always seen some oil on the cylinder wall, immediately after the piston comes down, looking through the spark plug hole. I thought that was normal

Yep, some residue oil is 100% normal.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

A broken ring will usually show a deep scratch on the cylinder wall .

The surface of the cylinder wall looks “normal”, no deep scratch. So it could be a stuck ring.

Michael wrote:

Yep, some residue oil is 100% normal.

I fixed the privacy setting and now the video should be visible.
This cylinder exhibit significantly more “black stuff” (cooked oil?) on the upper part of cylinder than the others. It is visible on the lower left corner at the very beginning of the video.
This piston also leaves what looks like small droplets of oil on the wall when the piston goes down wheras it’s not the case with other cylinders.

Peter wrote:

How much oil are you losing?

I flew a bit of “long haul” flights (>3h leg) in mid September with the aircraft. It burned 1qt / 7 hours.

I may try your “remedial action” before the next 50h check if that doesn’t self resolve.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 01 Nov 17:12

What are your oil change intervals, what oil are you using ? How hot are you flying ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EuroFlyer wrote:

What are your oil change intervals, what oil are you using ? How hot are you flying ?

Oil is Total Aero D80. Since 2013 we add Camguard.
Change intervals are 30h-40h. Never exceeded 45h.

Until 2012 (before the EDM700 was installed) we used to run the engine ~25° ROP (Now, I know it’s not the best place to run an engine…).
CHT were usually 360-380°F

Now we run the engine 25° LOP (GAMI spread is 0.0 if we slightly retard the throttle). CHT are 300-320°F.
In some cold winter days we can’t even set the engine LOP otherwise it would run too cool !

Last Edited by Guillaume at 02 Nov 13:13

This CHT is very low and AIUI it can cause the oil to make residues.

My version of this problem was caused by several consecutive flights at FL200-210 i.e. very low power and low temps like yours.

There is nothing wrong with 25F ROP. The CHT curve is very flat around there. You are just burning a bit more fuel than necessary, and the CHTs are higher in the ROP region, which is normally a problem already, but not in your case.

However I am surprised you went from 360-380 down to 300-320 just by moving from 25 ROP to 25 LOP. That is a huge drop. Have you checked the EDM700 calibration? For example IIRC there is a config for the thermocouple type (J or K). At low temps, the two are similar (1.019mV versus 0.798mV at +20C) so this may not be obvious on the ground.

TOTAL oil is reportedly Aeroshell with different printing on the bottle.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You don’t say whether you’ve done a differential pressure test. Although not definitive it may give you a clue if there is a ring issue; listen for leakage at the oil filler. Removing and replacing a cylinder should take less than a day by any competent maintenance organisation and maybe honing and fitting new piston rings will resolve your problem.

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

However I am surprised you went from 360-380 down to 300-320 just by moving from 25 ROP to 25 LOP.

What I observe LOP is that it takes very little change in mixture to make a huge difference in CHT. Enriching by less than 0.5 gph can make the CHT rise by 30-40°F

Guillaume, how’s the temperature of your oily cylinder compared to the others?

LFPT, LFPN
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message