Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KI256 problems, replacement options, etc

@zuutroy wrote

Here’s how Garmin do it.

Yes. I have the same as pictured except Sandel SN3500 HSI (rather than 2nd G5) and IFD540 (rather than GTN). I am very happy with the installation.

Currently considering replacement of vac backup AI with AV-30 and Stec 30 A/P with GFC500…. would allow removal of vac system.

LSZK, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

The report of 54 failures is amazing; it could be close to 100% of the number sold.

This includes both Sandia-branded ones and Bendix King branded ones. Possibly Sandia sold quite a few before becoming Bendix King rebadged supplier?

ELLX

The uAvionix AV-30 AI/DG unit is now FAA certified

Price for the certified unit is $1’995 … very competitive.

Last Edited by chflyer at 01 Sep 13:55
LSZK, Switzerland

I downloaded the IM. Quite interesting stuff in there:

The above is not unexpected.

It looks like the AI mode needs pitot and static pipes connected. I wonder how they use this data:

However, looking at the connections, this does not emulate a KI256. It doesn’t have any of the required signals:

I thought I missed something but the previous AV30 thread doesn’t mention KI256 emulation either. This product doesn’t appear to have any kind of pitch/roll output which could feed a “KI256 emulator” box like an EA100 or GAD43 (employed by Aspen and Garmin, respectively).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It looks like the AI mode needs pitot and static pipes connected. I wonder how they use this data

Like every other electronic AI uses either pitot-static or GPS data or both; for long-term stability and continuous recalibration?

ELLX

And also for its “probeless AoA indicator”.

ELLX

Well, this doesn’t appear to be a KI256 replacement, or anywhere near it. As for the pitot/static inputs, this was done in previous threads but normally if using airdata for the background erection, one uses a constant IAS together with a constant heading (which indicates “straight and level”), not constant IAS with a constant altitude (which indicates basically nothing useful I can see, for the roll angle).

Administrator

The planned autopilot interface is the Heading bug for STec autopilots.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Peter wrote:

Well, this doesn’t appear to be a KI256 replacement, or anywhere near it.

Yes, and any further discussion about it really belongs in the AV-30 thread. No outputs other than audio. As an AI, it seems to be much more targeting the backup AI with vacuum system elimination.

It seems BK weren’t able or willing to sort out a workable/reliable replacement with the KI300/KI310 pair and it is not looking like anyone else will even try. Given that the KI256 is an integral part of the KFC-200 a/p system which is installed with an STC, any KI256 replacement would also need rework of the KFC-200 STC, wouldn’t it? How likely is that to happen?

LSZK, Switzerland

any KI256 replacement would also need rework of the KFC-200 STC

I don’t think so.

You need to develop a product which is of equivalent performance etc and show fail-safe modes etc. After all, Aspen and Garmin did it, EFD1000+EA100, G500+GAD43, G600… I don’t know which Garmin TXI products do this but obviously this will be known.

It is evidently not difficult. I don’t know any detail though.

None of these require changes to any old King STC. King is a dead company now; all engineering left c. 2003.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message