Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fitting a used King KN53

One of my mates has a king KN53 which is going to be surplus to requirements following an avionics upgrade.

I still cant decide what to do in my Cessna. It currently has a narco 12d. I cant afford the Nav/Comms that are on the market and having spoken to trig it would appear unlikely that their Nav/Comm will be on the market before the deadline.

One option is to put in a PS engineering PAR200a and move the Narco 12d to box two. However Narco box has needed numerous repairs over the years and I expect the display is on its way out.

I was therefore thinking of putting the king KN53 in its place. Does anyone know what One would have to do paperwork wise.

Last Edited by Bathman at 12 Feb 09:01

EASA registered? If so it could be done under CS-STAN. Based on that you fly with Narco, do you need a 8,33 kHz, and do you need an NAV? I your case it might be better to wait till there is a more available on the market.

It might also be an option to toss out the Narco 12D and install KN-53 with Trig TY-96? Would you also get the indicator with it, not sure if the Narco indicator would be compatible with KN-53. Check this before buying anything.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Also if you want to legally fly anywhere that requires a Nav then ensure that the KN53 meets ICAO Annex 10 FM immunity requirements – many older units don’t. Incidentally the MK12D is not FM immune – you need a MK12D+ for that.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Yes its EASA registered and we really do need a nav as the aircraft is used for training. Hence my thoughts about keeping the Narco 12D and the KN53 does come with the indicator and mounting tray.

I have to say I didn’t know about the FM immunity requirements I’ll do some internet research to find out more.

Getting it done under CS-Stan what does that mean? Do I need an EASA form 1 or as its being pulled out off a airworthy aircraft and is working do I still need it.

Sorry to ask what I am sure to you is simple questions but when it comes to avionics I don’t really understand whats allowed and what is not.

Have a look at UK AIP GEN1.5-12 para 5.2.3
http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-8B4107275E1CCCAC385059F76CE82139/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/AIP/GEN/EG_GEN_1_5_en_2016-12-08.pdf

You will need an EASA Form One for the equipment and this can possibly be issued by the Part 145 or Part M Subpart F who removed it as serviceable if they have the privilege on their approval.

Avionics geek.

Thats great. If his maintenance company isn’t Part 145 or Part M Subpart F then presumably I can send it to a company that is who if happy can issue it? And if so any idea rough idea of costs?

I can’t thank you guys enough for all the time and effort you put in here.

A Part 145 avionics workshop should be able to inspect/test and release. You should provide written evidence that the unit was removed from an aircraft that hasn’t been involved in an accident/incident (see the other thread on GNS530 re-certification for the reason behind this). I would guess about 2 hours bench time so maybe £120-150 + VAT. There aren’t may workshops left in the UK doing component work but Navcom Avionics have one at Stapleford. We don’t do box repairs.

Avionics geek.

That even better to know Navcom have repaired our Narco 12d in the past.

You comments on EASA form 1 generation also open up some other possibilities as I have a Narco 122 sat on the self collecting dust which I can provide evidence of where it come from.

8 Posts
Sign in to add your message