Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autopilot Required for single pilot IFR (non commercial) (merged)?

If anyone knows about this, it will be @bookworm

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Regulations aside. Who would seriously argue against an autopilot when flying single pilot IFR.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

No mention of autopilot in Part NCO (VFR or IFR), except single pilot operation IFR with helicopter. That’s the only valid EASA regs about operations. No mention of autopilot in the national regs either for IFR or VFR, or helicopters.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@Euroflyer
Find me an autopilot with an STC for RALLYE MS 893E and I will consider installation. I have not been able to find one (nor has the avioniics shop I am working with).

I would see utility in being able to fly IFR even without an autopilot. 90%+ of the time it would be to a destination with VFR conditions.

Would you consider loss of autopilot an emergency in IMC? Could you hand fly an approach? I understand how difficult things could become copying new, unexpected instructions. My experience is quite limited, but I believe it is doable, especially given the usage profile I expect.

Tököl LHTL

Would you consider loss of autopilot an emergency in IMC?

No; I have had a number of servo burnouts on the KFC225 and once I flew Corfu – Santorini – Mykonos – Corfu – Cannes – Shoreham all by hand. But I had a passenger who could keep the wings level.

Everything becomes very tiring.

I would not embark on a long trip without one, even VFR. Even little things become hard work, like taking photos, taking a pee, eating food, getting stuff from the back seat etc.

Could you hand fly an approach?

You have to be able to hand fly everything in IMC if you want an IR and use it fully, but that isn’t to say it will be easy and it certainly won’t be enjoyable. It should be safe – I flew a couple of ILSs yesterday, one coupled and one by hand, first time for a few months, and the hand flown one was within 1/4 scale which is fine.

I hate to say this but it may be better to change your plane to solve this. People do that to get full TKS…

BTW I am damn sure no autopilot is required for single pilot IFR – unless some countries are holding out with their own national regs which are illegal under EASA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I am damn sure no autopilot is required for single pilot IFR

Aviathor wrote:

I think that in the past some countries may have mandated an autopilot.

When I wrote “in the past”, I meant before EASA OPS. I think we can say with certainty that Part-NCO does not require an A/P for IFR.

LFPT, LFPN

@Peter
The idea of changing my plane fills me with dread! That would b 3 planes in 3 years: buy, fix up, then sell at a loss to some lucky bastard. I would like to do some flying with what I have, rather than start the bloody cycle anew!

I do 3-4 hour flights VFR and do not grow tired hand flying. All my instrument training (about 50 hours including 4.5 in IMC) has been without autopilot.

I’m sure if I ever had one, it would become a “can’t do without” item, but I remain unspoiled!

Tököl LHTL

If your aircraft is an EASA aircraft I do not see how the German LBA can enforce their autopilot requirement today considering Part-NCO.

ESSZ, Sweden

BTW I am damn sure no autopilot is required for single pilot IFR – unless some countries are holding out with their own national regs which are illegal under EASA.

I would also think so, but could not find that principle anywhere in any piece of legislation.
EASA regs win if they contradict with state rules, but if a state rule only add something to a EU regulation why wouldn’t it be valid?

Paris, France

That would be a perversion of the principle of superiority of European regulations. It would allow states to introduce massive add-on requirements / gold-plating and thus to effectively render the European regulation a farce. No, gold-plating is not allowed / effective unless the European regulation specifically says so.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message