Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Post-maintenance check ?

I had a similar experience with the UK CAA years ago. Maybe it is changing now, but back then they were really reluctant to take on any company – presumably because they collect heavy fees from them, for various approvals.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s really a bad joke. … I wonder if they could uphold that position in court. I cannot imageine you have to remove the lower cowlimng and inspect the airplane for tools after maintenance …

Thank you all for the extensive feedback, more then I expected. I gained some usefull insights.

Ultranomad wrote:

Even if you are physically present all the time and participate in working on your aircraft, you may be up for surprises.

I do have a lot of trust in the engineer who is doing the maintenance, I have the impression he is doing an excellent job. But he is just human like all of us.

Maybe I was hoping that there would be some general “post maintenance checklist” . I guess this is wishfull thinking.
But I saw many usefull tips, that probably would belong in such a list. Thanks, I am including these in my own checklist I am compiling now.

Op top of that I’ll keep my eyes open and be carefull.

EBTN, EBST, Belgium

I like to do the first flight after major maintenance myself, after all I have signed for the work so I should be happy to fly the aircraft, some owners see this as a good thing, others see this as me trying to get some free flying (as if I need the hours !).

sugarcube wrote:

I do have a lot of trust in the engineer who is doing the maintenance, I have the impression he is doing an excellent job. But he is just human like all of us.

Maybe I was hoping that there would be some general “post maintenance checklist” . I guess this is wishfull thinking.
But I saw many usefull tips, that probably would belong in such a list. Thanks, I am including these in my own checklist I am compiling now.

Op top of that I’ll keep my eyes open and be carefull.

If you can’t trust them then find another Mx facility.

That said : Trust, but verify !

Last Edited by Michael at 23 May 06:07
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

If you can’t trust them then find another Mx facility.

Most owners are stuck with what they have…

Maybe I was hoping that there would be some general “post maintenance checklist”

One could certainly produce one, but it would involve removing the inspection covers and belly panels, etc. Also you would probably want to do it out of sight of the maintenance company because they will not like someone doing that – having presumably refused him to see the internals before the covers are replaced. They will also not like doubts cast on their reputation for the whole airfield to see if you are doing it outdoors…

The worst scenario is when you are hangared with maintenance being a condition of hangarage. Any dispute tends to kick you out of the hangar and in many places you have nowhere else to go. I have seen this many times. I was fortunate to have 10 years of hangarage in a high-end maintenance company which didn’t want to work on my plane because while they were FAA145 the TB20 was not on their approved list so they would have to use an external A&P/IA…

Unfortunately airfield politics is a big factor in GA. One needs to navigate the situation with care and most owners learn that very fast.

I learnt it very early on… I had a conversation with someone in the cafe where I said that the company, during the 50hr check, and not knowing how to start the engine, didn’t press ALT to enable the alternator to recharge the battery. Well, in the few mins it took me to walk back to the hangar, this guy had phoned the company with what I said to him and the chief walked up to me as I walked into the hangar and asked me what the hell am I doing… I managed to smooth over that situation. That company is no longer around, so I am able to write this.

Escaping this nonsense is a big driving factor behind the “farm strip” community who in turn put up with all sorts of hassles like having to fly somewhere to get avgas, and being grounded much of the year due to wet ground.

If you can sort out a hangar where work can be done, that is the nearest thing to heaven in GA ownership

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Most owners are stuck with what they have…

I know many owners that fly their planes hundreds of miles to take it to the Mx facility they trust most.

So besides having the plane grounded with expired C of A , or unable to fly, owners have choices.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

So besides having the plane grounded with expired C of A , or unable to fly, owners have choices.

Yes, lucky me

EDLE

I know many owners that fly their planes hundreds of miles to take it to the Mx facility they trust most.

I doubt that statement was intended to read the way it does because that is a terrible indictment of the indicated situation.

OK, a plane has wings so it can fly, but

• nobody will fly hundreds of miles for a 50hr check, and
  • anything bigger will mean leaving the plane there and wasting a whole day on transport getting back and then wasting it again when collecting the plane
Administrator

Peter wrote:

anything bigger will mean leaving the plane there and wasting a whole day on transport getting back

When I flew mine to Spanhoe for its permit revalidation, I got a lift back in a Jodel. I’d hardly call that “wasted”! (Or the flight down there, either)

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message