Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sandel 3308 and Garmin 430

hello,
i got recently a 430 installed
somehow the commucation between 430 und 3308 is not really stable and working the way it should
is there anyone maybe here who has a similar set up so i can get some hints

thanks

fly2000

What is working and what is not working ??
there are several simular installation working perfect.

430 all ok

3308 hsi working

3308 unstable with gps signal (stable on 430) see pic i had trimble installed before

3308 has gps sign on top left crossed out (i guess this is ok as the gps signal now comes from the nav unit (430)

when i want to use the nav mode on the ap not working when in gps mode

fly2000

Besure the unit is slide in deep enough , if it’s working sometimes, seen problems before,that have been solved by taking out the sn3308 and re-install it
If it’s not working at all check wiring and configurations, (or go back to the avionics shop who did the install)

The 3308 has three connectors on the back. I would check these are fully in. If it is intermittent it does look like a bad connection somewhere. Ultimately the way will be to make a connection to the 3308 connector on which the GPS data is, with a scope. However if the problem cannot be reproduced on the ground then you may need to run a wire from that wire, into the cockpit and fly with a scope for a bit!

If that signal is solid then it is inside the 3308, but I would suspect that last because Sandel stuff is really well made. I have two SN3500s…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

i am affraid i may have picked the wrong “avionic shop” as they where even not able to set up the 430 in a proper way (filters wrong so there was a permanent "noise"on the com side)
and when you go with a installation from someone else to a other shop you allready start on a bit of a wrong foot!!

the pin issue maybe a good hint as it worked for the first couple of hours oki, just when i landed on a grass strip it started afterward to play up a bit so could be a starting point for looking

but i am also sure they have not config the 3308 to “talk” correctly with the 430 so this may be the step to look for, once I have signal stable again

fly2000

I assume you have the 3308 IM? The GPS type config is fairly obvious and it either works or doesn’t.

I suppose one possibility is an RS422 port receiving RS232 data or vice versa; that can be intermittent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message