Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Radionavigation equipment replacement and airworthiness

There are loads of NDB approaches in e.g. Croatia or Greece.

But in the context of the question of usefulness of an ADF, the question must be:

How many airports are there which have an NDB approach, whilst not having a VOR/ LOC / ILS or RNAV approach.

I just checked, there are essentially none in Greece and Croatia.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Here’s two:

and then you could have potentially loads if a navaid is notamed INOP. Also quite a few UK GPS IAPs have an NDB in the missed approach

It’s true that most people would probably not install an ADF from nothing, because it’s a big piece of kit and apart from the KR87 they are all horribly unreliable.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Exactly, more or less these two.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

How many airports are there which have an NDB approach, whilst not having a VOR/ LOC / ILS or RNAV approach.

Oxford still has one to one end. You have to fly it pretty frequently. Rare to have only an ADF approach at one end in the rest of Europe from what I have seen.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

But my view would be that if you file an IFR flight plan to such an airport and you aren’t carrying the required kit, your insurance is in the trash before your wheels leave the ground.

I doubt it unless your failure to carry the kit caused an accident.

EGTK Oxford

Oxford still has one to one end

In that case there will be a large number of those e.g.

One could fly the ILS 27 and circle to land but the minima would likely be a lot higher.

I doubt it unless your failure to carry the kit caused an accident.

That AFAIK is in the consumer (e.g. home insurance) ombudsman guidelines in the UK but it isn’t normally the case for insurance to be voided. Otherwise you could argue that you could train for a PPL, pass the skills test, never apply for a license, and fly … and countless permutations of that.

The indications I have seen are that it depends on the size of the claim.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

One could fly the ILS 27 and circle to land but the minima would likely be a lot higher.

Circling minima is 110ft higher than the straight in NDB/DME for a 135kt or below aircraft.

But regardless who ever would voluntarily circle to land?

EGTK Oxford

Very true; a straight-in IAP is nearly always safer.

Administrator

Aviathor wrote:

Does TomTom regularly fly into airfields where NDB is required and no RNAV available?

The plane equipped with a KNL90, is capable of flying RNP LNAV approaches, but not approved in the AFM…..
As ILS are being removed in France, my only legal option is NDB approaches. For how long????

Thomas

LFPE

In that case you are in the same position I was in – until I got this done.

How you obtain an AFMS in EASA-land, I don’t know. But I am sure @wigglyamp knows. I think it needs a part 21 company. OTOH some manufacturers used to include one e.g. Socata and you can obtain / buy the AFMS later.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message