Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Misc. electronic conspicuity boxes: Garrecht / Air Avionics / TRX-1500A / Air Connect / PAW / PilotAware / LXnav / PowerMouse / FlarmMouse / Flarm / Uavionix / SkyEcho / SafeSky

I´d like to challenge the statement that “many” fly with TCAS in VFR levels – and that is why it is mostly pointless for biggest part of GA fleet to spend ridiculous money on TCAS gear. You don´t meet lots of Airbusses below 10 000 ft I guess while keeping out of airspaces around big airports. And I would not know about any other avionics that were required for ADS-B out other than a s-transponder hooked onto a certified GPS antenna. That would be one of the TRIG types for feeding their transponder for SIL-something, most likely 1 or 2 , whatever. It is the transponder which sends ADS-B out with positions as I can see them displayed on our TRIG. Vic
vic
EDME

I´d like to challenge the statement that “many” fly with TCAS in VFR levels

Where was this posted?

It also depends on what you mean by “VFR”. In the UK most traffic is 2000ft or lower. In France it is visibly similar. Elsewhere I don’t know, although most of Europe’s land area has almost no GA anyway.

What I would say, obviously, is that active TAS (TCAS 1) is common on new IFR planes, and relatively common on those which “go places” with IR holders. Not because they have an IR, and you don’t need TCAS in CAS in Europe (unless somebody has massively screwed up) but because getting an IR in Europe involves spending a bundle of cash

that is why it is mostly pointless for biggest part of GA fleet to spend ridiculous money on TCAS gear

TCAS1 is brilliant for spotting potentially relevant traffic at low levels, especially in the circuit. But it is too expensive so there is no point in saying people should get it. All I say is that people should fly with transponders ON, even if it doesn’t do them much good. There is no cheap device for sale which gives you azimuth data on TXP aircraft, so by all means fill your boots with the other stuff… somebody will see you

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The Trig TT31 mode S unit will need an antenna like discussed above (or whatever is feeding it). I also don’t like the code selection; the buttons on the Garmins are much better.

Agreed, but – having two TT31 equipped aircraft in my club – it’s really not a big deal in practice. (Incidentally, both aircraft have ADS-B out.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Mar 19:59
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Peter said:

“What staggers me is the lack of feedback from the many people who fly with TCAS1 systems”
any idea about percentage of aircraft in GA equipped with TCAS to justify “many” ? I´d think it is a minority of all non-commercial aircraft so when thinking about ways for introducing electronic conspicuity the extremely pricy TCAS does not look like a reasonable proposition when there is even no great desire just for getting s-transponders in many countries. So when accepting ADS-B the way to go the cost effective choice looks like having the s-transponder hooked to a certified GPS antenna like the Trig TN 72 plus any traffic alert app on the tablet velcroed somewhere like some got their i-pad on the yoke – which I find quite risky to do but seems to be accepted even so. So then ADS-B is transmitted with SIL-1 or so and seen on all traffic alert devices. We got the Pilotaware on the EVFR tablet plus the Trig TT 21 for OUT, yeah SIL-0 only with a common GPS antenna non-certified. So for the most important traffic in below 10 000ft we are visible but not to TCAS instruments which does not matter much as not " a lot" of that traffic is in same airspace – and will never be at that kind of money. So that is why TCAS will be pointless to get for most of non-commercial aircraft. But certainly that is my view being no serious pilot anyway . . .

Vic

TRIG GPS

TRIG s-transponder

Last Edited by vic at 01 Mar 22:43
vic
EDME

Apart from Skyecho, which product does ADS-B OUT and SIL=1?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Apart from Skyecho, which product does ADS-B OUT and SIL=1?

Peter wrote:

But what about SIL=1 out of a Skyecho? This appears to confirm the above; it is a special config on the Skyecho, which allegedly is not legal outside the UK but the UK CAA allows it.

I don´t think anybody else, other than uAvionix/SkyEcho 2, offers a portable ADS-B out with sil=1 or better.
The SkyEcho 2 product is limited to certain geographical locations, UK and I believe Australia, New Zealand, for the transmitting side (ADS-B out). The build in antenna of the Sky Echo 2 (sbas augmentation) is approved for sil=1 (in UK, Aussie- and Kiwi land). The output is “only” 20W.
I can see why EASA is hesitant to jump on the approval wagon of this (or any other portable unit) unit, as certified ADS-B out (sil=1 or better) equipment. Low transmitting power (range) and a non certified GPS installation. If ATC are to use ADS-B in (receiver side), and of course sil=1 or better, you need certified equipment providing reliable data. Portable units with GPS and 20W are mickey mouse stuff. For the mortal ones of us, this is more than sufficient, but general public, they deserve better (or not ;-) ).

vic wrote:

So when accepting ADS-B the way to go the cost effective choice looks like having the s-transponder hooked to a certified GPS antenna like the Trig TN 72 plus any traffic alert app on the tablet velcroed somewhere like some got their i-pad on the yoke – which I find quite risky to do but seems to be accepted even so. So then ADS-B is transmitted with SIL-1 or so and seen on all traffic alert devices.

This is my conclusion as well. Certified ADS-B OUT (sil=1 or better) for all receivers to “be seen”. NOTE: in EASA land this currently requires certified GPS installation with 1090ES. Sky Echo 2 is not legal to transmit ADS-B OUT in Europe (EASA territory).
On board traffic awareness system (in addition to your eyes!) should receive “see” as much traffic as possible, ADB-B including (and important!) sil=0 and better, flarm, preferably transponder mode C/S (but this can be cost prohibitive, though some cheap units also provide this non directional).
For ADS-B IN and Flarm in, SkyEcho 2 is a great little cost efficient piece of avionics. Add SkySafe and SkyDemon and you´ve got a LOT of added traffic awareness for a fraction of the cost of most other avionics gear (AND installation costs!).

Airborne_Again wrote:

Agreed, but – having two TT31 equipped aircraft in my club – it’s really not a big deal in practice. (Incidentally, both aircraft have ADS-B out.)

I´m also having the TT31 in mine, and let´s face it, it´s how most of us learned it (with dials). It´s a luxury “problem”, but nevertheless I agree that the preferred choice is a having key pads for the entry. Saves you having to write it down on your note pad first.

Last Edited by Yeager at 02 Mar 07:37
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

greg_mp wrote:

Ok but the cost for almost all VFR traffic is kept high and another point is that every ADSB-out trace goes to internet. During my last meeting with french VFR mountain pilots, they almost all carry a flarm emitter/receiver that has :
-2 to 5 miles distance detection range
-low cost
-easy display with proximity alerts
-no trace on internet, unless you get close to a glider base that is broadcasting through OGN.

I would advise to go this way because we don’t really care about getting seen by a liner, the real threat comes from other VFR traffic – all the more than more and more conspicuity boxes can read Flram traffic. For those who want to see their trip on FR24, they can buy an ADSB-out…

I’d be delighted if everyone had FLARM out, or ADS-B out or both.

Even with NVG no one would drive their car at night with the lights off. Why fly around without at least a little bit of EC?

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Has anybody tried Sentry Plus yet?
Portable ADSB with built in GPS plus IIUC CO detector.
I don’t know the cost.

France

The issue with Stratux, Sentry etc. is you only see those with ADS-B out and (albeit unreliably) FLARM out. Yes, my Stratux shows undirected Mode-S but it is unreliable.
This means you are missing most traffic (which is still only equipped with Mode-ACS transponders).
There’s no easy or inexpensive solution, except for Safesky (which in my experience works very well and shows all traffic, especially nearby hotspots, where one tends to be lower and thus with good 5G coverage anyway).

A typical Stratux build gives me 10 years of Safesky premium. A Sentry plus even 25 years.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 02 Mar 10:56
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

There’s no easy or inexpensive solution, except for Safesky (which in my experience works very well and shows all traffic, especially nearby hotspots, where one tends to be lower and thus with good 5G coverage anyway).

Well, “easy of inexpensive” Safesky might only be some countries, in others – mobile coverage is not so great (UK for example), plus things like PAW allow ADS-B IN even if you have no PAW coverage at all (and if you do you then get Mode-S as well as weather). So it is always a trade-off, you just choose the one you like.

I think the debate between SafeSky & on-board device is now in the same ballpark as Android vs Apple…

EGTR
Sign in to add your message