Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Misc. electronic conspicuity boxes: Garrecht / Air Avionics / TRX-1500A / Air Connect / PAW / PilotAware / LXnav / PowerMouse / FlarmMouse / Flarm / Uavionix / SkyEcho / SafeSky

Peter, was referring to your post from Oct 2020 to count contacts and compare between SE2 and TAS605.

Agreed that the safesky app is frankly ridiculous…

Learning & burning
Popham, United Kingdom

I tried out Safesky the other day, it caused my Samsung Galaxy 7 to overheat……

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Quite a few apps have been stupidly written and do that. The Sygic road satnav app does that, but like most people I am ditching that stuff and simply going to google maps.

Yes I would be happy to do a flying test of SE2 versus TAS605. I suggest you drop me an email. I will be out of action for next few weeks.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This is the height of cynicism

cynicism (noun)
an inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest; scepticism.

I think the word you’re looking for is crapness!

Andreas IOM

My “cynicism” comment was based on the number of outfits selling “electronic conspicuity” boxes, of which most are of little or no use.

But yes a box which needs continuous mobile data is crap.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Traffic System – Air Avionics (Germany)

Hello,
Does anyone have experience with the Air Trafic module from Air Avionics https://www.air-avionics.com/?page_id=253 ?
The benefit I see is that it merges ADS-B plus FLARM and I would consider replacing my Avidyne TAS 610 with this system.
Any experience or opinions or alternatives to suggest ?
Thanks for any advice

Cessna Silver Eagle C10T owner / pilot
LFPN, France

I have the AT-1 installed and it is displayed on the installed hardware as well as on my iPad. Typically I have it displaying permanently on the Garmin 430, which is my standby GPS, and on the iPad app which I’m using during flight.

So far I’m quite happy with it, and it very well rises situational awareness. And yes, it merges ADS-B and FLARM data.

An issue I have is, that sometimes after startup it doesn’t provide its data to the iPad and I don’t know why (although the WiFi zone is active, Skydemon refuses to connect). There seem to be more people encountering this problem from time to time, according to other forums such as skydemon forum, and I’ve read that even sometimes it is not clear whether any of FLARM or ADS-B is actually transmitted. Worst thing about that is, that you have to have a mobile device connected to the AT-1 to get notice about it not working properly. So for me it’s still another topic to study. Every now and then we’re comparing it to a mobile Stratux system, but so far it’s showing the same traffic.

To increase redundancy I’m about to setup an ADL weather receiver in my cockpit which also came with an ADS-B antenna. I’ll have it talk to the AT-1 so that each traffic is only displayed once, and I hope that at least ADS-B data will be reliable until I know how to find out whether the AT-1 is working reliably or not.

So it is great when it’s working, but it is missing a RAIM function (receiver autonomous integrity monitoring).

Edit: Solution to the problem so far is to restart the AT-1, and then it typically starts to work “as always”. But I have to check it, and it is annoying to have yet another point on the checklist.

Another edit: I still highly recommend it. Integration into the panel and the typical iPad apps is really great!

Last Edited by UdoR at 27 May 08:41
Germany

I wouldn’t kick out an already installed TAS for ADS-B+FLARM only. ADS_B usage is insufficiënt in Europe, especially in uncontrolled airspace. Just go to Flightradar24 or a similar website and filter on ADS-B as the only source.

EBST, Belgium

iz-trips wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the Air Trafic module from Air Avionics https://www.air-avionics.com/?page_id=253 ?
The benefit I see is that it merges ADS-B plus FLARM and I would consider replacing my Avidyne TAS 610 with this system.
Any experience or opinions or alternatives to suggest ?

A disadvantage (well, maybe depending on where you operate) with the Air Avionics Air Traffic is that it doesn’t display mode C transponder targets. The PowerFLARM Fusion displays both FLARM, ADS-B, mode S and mode C transponder targets. Like the Air Traffic unit, it doesn’t have a directional antenna so transponder targets are only displayed with altitude difference and approximate distance.

The Air Traffic unit has an advantage over PowerFLARM in that it can send traffic data to Garmin displays. FLARM (the company) has dropped support for that in its own new units apparently because of compatibility issues.

My club has just installed PowerFLARM Fusion (with an Air Traffic ATD-80 indicator) in one of our aircraft. I’ll write about it when we have some experience.

I agree that you should keep your TAS 610. You could consider combining it with a FLARM system if you have a lot of gliding activity where you fly.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 27 May 09:25
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

As I wrote it down so often I made a permanent article which I can just link:

Airborne Traffic Detection Systems in European Airspace

Short answer is definitely keep the TAS 610. Maybe add something but keep the TAS, you will need it.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message