Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne's TAS6xx ADS-B IN delays

Oh, I see. Well there aren’t that many available to us, in reality, are there? I know it’s certified to GNS and GTN, and I can’t imagine that Avidyne would have omitted the IFD. G1000 has its own integrated TAS box. So that doesn’t leave much, does it?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

G1000 has its own integrated TAS box

The basic G1000 doesn’t include traffic but can work with alternative TAS systems including the Avidyne TAS6xx, L-3 Skywatch etc, so it’s not limited to just a Garmin GTX8xx unit.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Did I hear someone say this ADS-B IN upgrade to the TAS6xx actually exists now?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yup, and I have it.

It still cost a lot of money, as I had to pay for the installation and to ship the old one, and its functionality is way behind Garmin, as it doesn’t show vectors or tail numbers, but, to give them their due, it does now exist, albeit four years later than promised.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Interesting.

What device(s) are you displaying the merged Mode C + ADS-B-IN data on, and what is your WAAS GPS source for the TAS6xx?

Did you already have an “A” box or did you have to change the PCB?

What was the cost?

Does the Garmin system give tail numbers for non N-regs? The only scenario I have seen those was with a TAS6xx in a Cessna 400 with an Avidyne MFD connected via RS232 (not ARINC429), about 10 years ago.

Administrator

What device(s) are you displaying the merged Mode C + ADS-B-IN data on

Aspen Evolution 1500 (both PFD and MFD) and GTN750

what is your WAAS GPS source for the TAS6xx?

GTN750

Did you already have an “A” box or did you have to change the PCB?

I had a non-“A” box and, as I understand it, the whole box was changed and a connector wire added.

What was the cost?

For installation, shipping and VAT (and including a couple of tiny jobs; tightening up two Bose headphone sockets which had vibrated loose and pumping up the tyres) I was down £732.

Does the Garmin system give tail numbers for non N-regs?

Yes, on the combination of Garmin TAS and G600.

The only scenario I have seen those was with a TAS6xx in a Cessna 400 with an Avidyne MFD connected via RS232 (not ARINC429), about 10 years ago.

That surprises me. Where did it get the information from, pre-ADS-B?

EGKB Biggin Hill

For installation, shipping and VAT (and including a couple of tiny jobs; tightening up two Bose headphone sockets which had vibrated loose and pumping up the tyres) I was down £732.

Astonishing. For a non A" box that was supposed to be a few k… found it. I wonder if you got a special deal.

That surprises me. Where did it get the information from, pre-ADS-B?

Mode S

AIUI all these TAS boxes receive the Mode S data but don’t necessarily show any of it to the pilot. They have to receive it, in order to merge the targets which emit both Mode C (which in Europe must be also Mode S) and ADS-B OUT. This is done by comparing the 24-bit ID which (for such targets) is transmitted in both the Mode S and ADS-B OUT packets.

The other thing, again AIUI, is that the ARINC429 traffic data stream doesn’t contain tail numbers. Just the target position and the symbol which is supposed to be shown (like a font, if you like). Only the “Avidyne proprietary” traffic data stream, available only via RS232, and supported for display only by some (now ancient) Avidyne MFDs, shows this tail number data.

And… only N-regs are ever shown because the other regs are not (in most cases) algorithmically derivable from the 24-bit ID (e.g. G-regs need a database lookup, which is way beyond the call of duty for the avionics maker). Yes, I know a Mode S transponder contains the tail number also, literally [mis- ] configured by the owner, but AIUI this data field is not used by any TAS product (it is visible to ATC, of course, where Mode S equipped… not all are).

This stuff does my head in. Many previous wonderful threads here on EuroGA already, found with a search like
avidyne AND tas* AND tail*
etc etc.

I have posted a question on the more tech side of this topic here.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Astonishing. For a non A" box that was supposed to be a few k… found it. I wonder if you got a special deal.

Also discussed before in this very thread. When I bought the 605 it was with a “free” upgrade to 605A with ADS-B. That “free” upgrade cost £732.

EGKB Biggin Hill
88 Posts
Sign in to add your message