Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne's TAS6xx ADS-B IN delays

Timothy,

This is a rather odd thread. You state you are in a commercial dispute. You decided to go public and now wonder if a different strategy might be better.

You know this is a thread they can read?

You appear to have two choices, approach them to try to settle or stick with it. I assume your public campaign against them is not purely to obtain benefit for yourself with your own unit and so going quiet will hardly be of help.

I think their actual products are good but had I believed their promises on the IFD units I would have been trying to fit them to a Citation Mustang before they were released (two years and two aircraft after they were promised).

Last Edited by JasonC at 16 Jan 00:00
EGTK Oxford

I am just wondering if this august group of successful businesspeople might have other ideas.

Avidyne isn’t talking to me at all. They made a derisory offer to settle a couple of years ago, and I rejected it. At the time (before the GTX 345) it amounted to about an eighth of what it would cost to rectify. Now, with the GTX 345, it would amount to about a third.

You say that they can read this thread, as if that were some kind of threat. I have never said anything that is either not true, or is clearly expressed as an opinion, so they won’t be able to come after me for defamation. They are defaming themselves.

Two years you say? Two years! I dream of two years. I am coming up to four. At my age, that could be a third of my remaining flying career!

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

You say that they can read this thread, as if that were some kind of threat. I have never said anything that is either not true, or is clearly expressed as an opinion, so they won’t be able to come after me for defamation. They are defaming themselves.

Not at all but strategising on how to beat your foe publicly somewhat defeats the purpose does it not?

EGTK Oxford

Political parties do it all the time.

EGKB Biggin Hill

JasonC wrote:

Not at all but strategising on how to beat your foe publicly somewhat defeats the purpose does it not?

By opening such a thread, people can comment about upgrades they had considered (and rejected). I myself will not fit Avidynes into my Cirrus, instead I’ll accept a rewiring and put in GTNs to allow it to become WAAS compliant; a friend with his aircraft in the hangar bay next to me is fitting a GTN750 into his ‘73 Challenger although IFD540s were proposed. Our decisions were taken based on the lack of credibility of Avidyne, by the way they make promises and fail to deliver on them. I was seriously considering the IFD440s as a plug and play replacement for my old GNS430s, they would have been cheaper and possibly less hassle to install but I’m sorry, as long as Avidyne makes promises which they can’t (or won’t) respect, they are not a company I wish to work with.

Let’s say that Avidyne is reading this thread. I personally don’t believe it, they have more important things to do than follow GA forums. However if they are, then that’s good because If an Avidyne Product Manager were to finally become truly aware of the number of sales they have lost due to their inability to fulfil their contractual obligations, then maybe that Product Manager would go to management and explain that the company is damaging itself, that more effort should be put into fulfilling their obligations.

However I don’t honestly believe Avidyne is truly aware of the number of potential clients they have lost…. such a thread – if they read it – might show just how much they are being impacted…….

PS: I don’t believe Timothy wants to ‘beat’ his opponent. He just wants what he was promised. And imagine you had paid for something, from a tradesman yet this tradesman failed to deliver. At what point would you simply say ‘ok, if he isn’t going to fulfil his obligations, I will make sure that people are aware he is untrustworthy’ and at what point do you write it all off to experience and grumble to yourself? Timothy is at that first stage. I think he is within his rights to make people aware that the promises Avidyne make are not worth the paper they are written on……

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 16 Jan 09:31
EDL*, Germany

I don’t actually know this (there is no way to really know) but from circumstantial evidence it is clear that Avidyne and Garmin (and about 1200 GA pilots) read EuroGA daily

As regards whether Avidyne can make good on their promises, I think it is fairly obvious (to any business person) that they simply cannot, because if they could they would and they would get more $$$ in the bank. In any business you deliver everything you possibly can, as soon as you can. There is something missing… probably engineering resources. There is growing evidence that Avidyne are subcontracting a lot (possibly all) of this, and this has been the case for years with e.g. – according to owner reports – the DFC90 autopilot computer having to go back to the USA and then be shipped onwards to some other address (this is just to read out the error log!).

Subcontracting is good because if times are slack you just don’t pay for work you don’t need, but you can be 100.000% sure that if you have cash flow problems and don’t pay the subcontractor, he will drop you like a hot potato and do somebody else’s stuff. OTOH, with in-house staff, you can carry on for quite a while, forcing pay cuts, even issuing shares and a lot of people will hang around.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If that is the state that Avidyne finds itself in, ie only a hop, skip and a jump before filing, then that is another very good reason for people not to install their product.

But it is pure speculation, based on what a company usually looks like just before failure, rather, I assume, than based on any knowledge of their accounts and operations?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Our decisions were taken based on the lack of credibility of Avidyne, by the way they make promises and fail to deliver on them.

And yet you fly Cirrus despite the same non delivered promises?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

Let’s say that Avidyne is reading this thread. I personally don’t believe it, they have more important things to do than follow GA forums. However if they are, then that’s good because If an Avidyne Product Manager were to finally become truly aware of the number of sales they have lost due to their inability to fulfil their contractual obligations, then maybe that Product Manager would go to management and explain that the company is damaging itself, that more effort should be put into fulfilling their obligations.

However I don’t honestly believe Avidyne is truly aware of the number of potential clients they have lost…. such a thread – if they read it – might show just how much they are being impacted…….

That is fine of course but not what this thread was about from post 1. Of course people can complain about Avidyne as have I.

Last Edited by JasonC at 16 Jan 10:54
EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

That is fine of course but not what this thread was about from post 1.

True. When you break it down the only possible solutions are either by Avidyne and Timothy talking to each other or by lawsuit. Since Timothy says they don’t talk to him and assumes he has no chance in court, there is no obvious solution.

Plan C, building up “public pressure” through open discussions like this very thread, may or may not have any effect.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
Sign in to add your message