Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why in-flight radar (Golze) is good also in VFR

Thank you Peter :-)

Coming from Toulouse, that was what I could see enroute (FL70, 1h30 earlier):

Could not say much about what was happening at destination !

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 07 May 17:53

FWIW I had to divert because of eyeballs seeing the IMC ahead at 500 feet above the water in sight of the Calabrian coast. Turned back and stopped at Lamezia. You can have VFR conditions at the reporting points, but much worse conditions between. Some would decide to fly though the IMC to the expected blue on the other side, but I break things off when the “marginal” gets excessive. 99 times out of 100 all would be OK, but that’s not good enough for me. Once on the ground, I saw things were better 20 miles up the coast. I would have made it to Salerno, but not as far as Urbe. Golze would have encouraged me to keep going. Is that good or bad?

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Golze would have encouraged me to keep going. Is that good or bad?

I don’t think anything like that ‘encourages’ you to do anything. These things are just tools in a toolbox. You use them and they become part of the decision making process. Following them (or any other piece of information) blindly can lead to very bad things.

What will it take to integrate Golze’s capabilities into SkyDemon ?

huv
EKRK, Denmark

That already partly works (you still need the Golze app to start comms) via the Garmin GDL protocol emulation in the latest ADL firmware – see here.

Not sure which other moving map apps also work this way – presumably Foreflight and Garmin Pilot do.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Steve6443 wrote:

My practice is to make sure I have enough fuel and aim to fly towards the sky where it’s at it’s lightest. Even if it takes you away from where you want to go, usually you can avoid isolated areas of bad weather and find a place to land before you run out of options.

Please note that my view is probably a bit biased but I don’t think this is the best approach to avoid weather. Those guys did try about that and in the end it cost a complete airframe:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_International_Airlines_Flight_850

I asked him why he flew into the bad weather. ‘Because my Garmin told me it was ok’.

All data link weather is obviously for situational awareness only and flying into a dark front just because an app says there should be no weather is obviously foolish. But I would like to add that different vendors have different quality of weather data so one bad experience with one vendor does not apply to all kinds of in flight weather products. And obviously the real power of such a system is to plan much further ahead. Instead of the described last minute diversion a tyical plan of action with data link weather would have been to land somewhere well before the destination have a coffee and then fly home behind the weather without any passenger ever seeing the weather.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message