Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Simple GPS which can do approaches - Garmin GPS175, also Garmin GNX375

So I thought…

What would be a suitable “MFD” for such a GPS? Since we are talking about saving money, I am thinking “Ebay” Presumably one of the old Avidyne boxes would work, but to what extent? Also the mapdata updating might become an issue, if it isn’t already.

A pity that nobody seems to understand this stuff at this level, and the manufacturers won’t participate. Garmin for example read EuroGA all the time (they have expressed interest in the past in doing presentations at our fly-ins) but unlike on the big US sites they won’t participate in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A Garmin GMX200 would be a compatible MFD.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

One would need the “GMX 200 Traffic” version. The GMX200 is showing as available on Garmin but discontinued elsewhere.

US Ebay pricing is around $4k, which is pretty good. That’s with an 8130-3 but that can’t be used for an EASA reg plane.

This is a rather tacky installation of a GMX200 which shows the size of it

The total cost of this would be much less than a GTN650+GTN750. I wonder how the functionality would compare? Obviously the 2×GTN would give you two navigators and two 8.33 radios but a lot of people already have the radios, which is the point of this thread.

Does the GPS175 STC include the GMX200?

Administrator

Excepting the size of the screen, the new Garmin devices are pretty capable MFD in their own right.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

Excepting the size of the screen

Can they “display” on a tablet via something like a Flightstream or some other way?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter

Clearly Bendix/ King had ideas of expansion with the KLN89b as well as the GS conection it also had a string of unused anunciator outputs and I think a couple of data ports ( I was a long time ago ).

I guess this all ground to a halt when Garry Burrell crossed the road and set up Garmin and the bean counters set to work destroying the company .

The KLN94 has vertical outputs shown in the IM

They just never did any firmware to drive them.

These are very obviously for the LPV glideslope. It cannot be anything else; this thing doesn’t contain an ILS receiver.

It also doesn’t have VNAV in the sense of telling you the required FPM for a descent, like the Garmin handhelds do – that would have been, with quite a stretch of imagination, another use for a “glideslope” output intended for the GS bar of an HSI.

Administrator

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So, Peter, you now have a new choice. Replace your KLN94 with a 175.

KUZA, United States

With the GMX200

I need to check dimensions…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message