Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TKS Ice Protection

@PetitCessnaVoyageur I have the CAV system on my 206, and it’s effective. It has panels on the masts too.

Caen LFRK, France

Vref wrote:

More TKS installation centers spread over Europe would be helpful for sure.

We agree that more provision needs to be made for installation and this is something we are currently exploring. We will keep our social media channels and website updated with any new developments.

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Does CAV USA own the STC ?

Yes, this is the case.

Would you sell directly a kit (for a C182) to final customer, if he can prove that he has the human ressources to perform a proper installation ?

This is something that we could potentially consider in future and will look into.

PS: (naive question) would you say that the TKS kit developed for C182 is an accomplished product ?

Not certain I’ve understood the question correctly. Do you mean ‘tried and tested’? If so, then TKS has a long standing history of effective and reliable use.

Ben wrote:

Some years ago I was part of a group that tried to get TKS to develop an STC for the PA30/39. We had 15-20 owners who were willing to pay a significant deposit in return for a commitment from TKS to do the work, we also had a group of 10+ owners who said that their final decision will be based on the final cost.

I talked with the company’s M.D and explained the situation including lack of interest that was showed by the US distributors. I was promised a return call once within a week, my mistake was for not asking what year.

I’m very sorry to hear that the M.D never got back to you. Are you able to confirm when it was you attempted to get in touch?
The problem we face with developing an STC for any aircraft is cost. Ordinarily the final total for an STC is upwards of $1,000,000 dollars.
We are certainly not opposed to working with existing aircraft, however, the demand needs to be assured – hence the frequency of working alongside manufacturers on the development of new aircraft.

Peter wrote:

I reckon, looking at the original post, there may be a change of policy, so let’s see.

CAV Ice Protection has seen some positive changes within the last year due to the investment of Baird Capital and a restructure of management.
It is a priority for us to improve upon our historic interactions with customers and maintain an open dialogue.

If anyone would like to continue a conversation directly, you can reach me at [email protected].

TKS
United Kingdom

TKS wrote:

Not certain I’ve understood the question correctly. Do you mean ‘tried and tested’? If so, then TKS has a long standing history of effective and reliable use.

I mean, in your mind, is it efficient enough to extend the capability of a NA single-fixed-gear aircraft, and thus, justifying the cost of the upgrade ?

Not sure you can answer what may be considered as a personnal decision.

TKS wrote:

I’m very sorry to hear that the M.D never got back to you. Are you able to confirm when it was you attempted to get in touch?
The problem we face with developing an STC for any aircraft is cost. Ordinarily the final total for an STC is upwards of $1,000,000 dollars.
We are certainly not opposed to working with existing aircraft, however, the demand needs to be assured – hence the frequency of working alongside manufacturers on the development of new aircraft.

Hard for me to say but I think that this was about 7-8 years ago.
Am sending you an email.

I got my initial offer from Airplus today. It is says minimum 50000 EUR and 9 months leadtime. The 9 months is ok, but 50000 is a bit pricy.

Last Edited by Zsoszu at 15 Oct 14:25
Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

I would suggest contacting CAV in the USA and asking them for the kit price. Whether you already have a TKS propeller will have a significant bearing on it.

I have PMd you my contact.

They sold it to me so they should sell it to you. I think I posted the price in the TB20 TKS thread.

Then you have to pay import VAT on that. Assuming the boxes were correctly marked AIRCRAFT PARTS (which mine were not, despite the request) there is no import duty.

Make sure you have all the parts before starting the job. And right parts for the GT, not the pre-GT. Mine took well over a year to turn up.

You need to find a heated hangar. It wants to be at least +15C and preferably +20C for a week at least, for the sealant to cure.

Then you have to find someone to install it. It needs to be someone with a brain; not a grease monkey (regardless of paper qualifications) because the drawings need some, ahem, considerable interpretation, and the panels need some, ahem, considerable shaping to get them to fit exactly right. Nothing difficult but as I say it needs someone with a brain and who cares to do a job not just “ok” but really well. I did all the shaping and a lot of other work myself (under A&P supervision of course). That someone will have to be paid and my guess would be that 10k is about right. Of course my photos will be available to help.

The result should still be well below 50k+VAT €.

Also every TB20/21 (except one, and mine) with TKS flew some 5kt slower, and probably Airplus did many/most of those. That’s another reason to not go to Airplus. 5kt is a lot to lose. I lost a max of 1kt.

If you are not N-reg then there is a special procedure for making it legal, under the FAA STC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It was already a long time on my wish list but finally my bird is ready. The result looks beautiful on a V35. I believe there are only a few V tail TKS equipped Bonanza aircraft in Europe. I wasn’t able to test the effectiveness of the system yet, as the icing levels are quite high nowadays. The installation was not easy and it took a bit longer then predicted, but it was done by an excellent shop! Yes, I lost a few knots. I Don´t know if this is by the TKS or the overhauled Hartzell prop (my MacCaulay C76 was decommissioned) but honestly it doesn’t matter to me, knowing I have an additional line of defense now which I didn’t have before.

Last Edited by Vref at 31 Jul 14:08
EBST

That looks beautiful

Did you buy the kit from CAV and get a shop of your choice to install it, or did you go to Airplus at EDNY?

What condition (age etc) was the kit delivered in?

It will really improve your despatch rate, in the fairly common “non convective icing” conditions.

Administrator

At the end of last year as a follow up of this thread I was in contact with [email protected] he liaised me with J Holden @CAV. Basically there are four installers in Europe. I choose one of them after some investigations on how many install they had done already, the installer ordered the kit, lead time was 3 to 4 months. The install was not easy as my bird is relatively old and the kit is a more a generic Bonanza kit. I don’t think its was old CAV has several recent kits delivered for Bonanzas. Several adaptations were required to make it fit my specific serial number. One of the issues was my tip tanks were already fuel lines are running in the front leading edge and there are no access panels in that area.

Last Edited by Vref at 31 Jul 15:20
EBST

Interesting… Anybody can install the kit (assuming CAV will sell it to them; I understand this is not always the case) but I was told by CAV that only Airplus get the dealer discount on the parts. So in theory Airplus should be cheaper than anybody else. But it is clear they aren’t.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message