Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Manston EGMH, May 2024 Fly-in & Camp

Manston Airport EGMH is hosting a May Bank Holiday Flyin & Camp.
Open to all, it commences on Friday 24th May through to Sunday 26th May.

Supported by Riveroak, the owners of Manston, organised by The Kent Strut of the LAA,
assisted by RAF Manston History Museum and Polar Helicopters.

Camping onsite with ‘facilities’
RAF Manston Museum and their Cafe will be open
Local bus stop with routes to Margate, Ramsgate and other Thanet towns
£15 landing fee
£10 per night camping
Proceeds to Charities – Martha Trust, RAF Manston Museum, Brain Tumour Research.

PPR with based operator Polar Helicopters by email [email protected]
Indicate dates and if you plan to camp, along with usual inbound flight details.
Border Force will designate Manston as a temporary ‘Port of Entry’ for the weekend.
Flightplans to be closed with London Information
Manston does not have an instrument approach.
AVGAS 100LL and JetA will be available, request with your PPR

Nearby Lydd Airport EGMD provides instrument approaches and an apron bowser service for 100LL and JetA.

Previously we have had over one hundred aircraft…

Last Edited by onfinal at 22 Feb 12:42
United Kingdom

What’s the point of these repeated fly-ins? If everybody has an interest, why is it not reopened, as an unlicensed aerodrome for now?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The point is like any fly-in It’s a social thing. Once one knows how a plane works, the rest of flying is mainly social and sightseeing. For most pilots in this part of Europe, the nearest really scenic bit (the Alps) is not reachable within their budget, especially not if renting.

In this case it is to increase awareness, too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From a leisure pilot’s point of view, that’s clear.

I was referring to the organizers / supporters of these fly-ins, which includes the landowner, of course. What is their agenda?

From an infrastructrual point of view, the airport is closed. Two fly-ins a year change absolutely nothing about that.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Feb 13:58

The main thread is here.

The decision is a high level one, above what anyone can tackle right now, it seems.

Administrator

Thanks for posting this onfinal. I will try to make it to one of these fly-ins. After missing the last one I had a good look at google maps and there’s actually quite a lot to do in the nearby area. Just need an aeroplane in one piece…

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I assume it will not be possible to fly in internationally, since Manston (which is not an active airfield anyway) does not hold a CoA.

It states above

Border Force will designate Manston as a temporary ‘Port of Entry’ for the weekend.

Administrator

OK, missed that. I might have a go for the weekend then. I fondly remember such trip using Manston from 2013.

Let’s see how accomodating they will be with timing needs for arrival and departure.

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one