Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Medical and Licence required for cost sharing and commercial reward

The thread on cost sharing got me thinking about exactly what you can/cannot do regarding receiving payment or renumeration for flights.
So I’ve tried to list them in some kind of order based on current rules. I’m not trying to “beat the system”, just clarify what is/isn’t permitted.
EASA regulations apply Europe-wide, with just the UK’s Personal Medical Declaration adding a bit of local complexity.

These are minima – if you have a better licence or medical, then you can also do it.
It assumes you are rated for the aircraft being flown and insured for the purpose.

WARNING: This almost certainly has several errors!
Please confirm or provide corrections and I will incorporate in a subsequent update.

UK NPPL/PMD
- Cost sharing for Annex 1 aircraft within UK only

LAPL/LAPL Medical
- Cost sharing on any EASA aircraft

PPL/Class 2
- Glider launching tug (with Sailplane Towing Rating)
- Parachute dropping (min 100hrs PIC)
- Ferrying (covering flight costs but without further remuneration)
- Personal pilot for aircraft owner (covering flight costs but without further remuneration)
- Flight Instruction and Examining (with Flight Instructor/Examiner ratings up to PPL/IR)

CPL/Class 1
- Ferrying (for reward)
- Surveys (for reward)
- Photography (for reward)
- Personal pilot of aircraft owner (for reward)
- Flight Testing (with Flight Test Rating and Instrument Rating and 1000 hours)
- CPL Flight Instruction and Examining (with Flight Instructor/Examiner ratings)

CPL/Class 1/Air Operator Certificate
- Carriage of people, cargo or mail for reward

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

DavidC wrote:

LAPL/LAPL Medical
- Cost sharing on any EASA aircraft

Really? Wouldn’t that be “only aircraft that a LAPL allows to pilot”, namely “single-engine piston aeroplanes-land/sea or TMG with a maximum certificated take-off mass of 2000 kg or less, carrying a maximum of 3 passengers, such that there are always a maximum of 4 persons on board of the aircraft.”?

DavidC wrote:

PPL/Class 2
- Personal pilot for aircraft owner (covering flight costs but without further remuneration)

I’m not sure whether one can cover all costs, or if the PIC has to pay at least a token cent or so.

ELLX

DavidC wrote:

Do ferrying or being a personal pilot have any formal definition in law, or are they just two examples of how one might exercise the privileges of one’s licence – i.e. flying but not being paid to do so, the reason for the flight being no business of the regulator?

Does the use of the words “without further remuneration” indicate that you (or the regulator) consider paying for the costs of a flight to be renumeration for the pilot?

EGLM & EGTN

DavidC wrote:

So I’ve tried to list them in some kind of order based on current rules.

The pilot receiving renumeration and passengers (or other kinds of clients) paying for the flight are distinct things as the pilot is not necessarily the operator even in noncommercial ops. You seem to have mixed them up in your list. I’ll only talk about EASA LAPL/PPL as that’s the only thing I know well.

LAPL/LAPL Medical

There is no difference between LAPL and PPL in this respect. (But of course a LAPL holder can’t do some of the things you listed even without considering the renumeration issue.)

PPL/Class 2
- Glider launching tug (with Sailplane Towing Rating)
- Parachute dropping (min 100hrs PIC)

The pilot may not accept renumeration for any of these – but the sailplane pilot and parachuters may pay the operator – and are not limited to flight costs. In these cases the operator must be an air sports organisation or flight school. The pilot can’t be the operator.

You should also add

- Introductory flights.

Again, the operator must be an air sports organisation or flight school. Passengers may pay the operator and are not limited to flight costs.

I think “covering flight costs” is a bit misleading. Do you mean reimbursement for expenses like fuel and landing fees?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Nov 11:48
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I think “covering flight costs” is a bit misleading. Do you mean reimbursement for expenses like fuel and landing fees?

Who says it’s reimbursement?

If I do you a favour and move your aircraft from A to B (say for maintenance) then there is not necessarily anything to reimburse. The fuel burned and the landing fee can perfectly reasonably be defined as your expense, not mine, even if you are 1,000nm from the aircraft at all times.

This is the nub of the matter. The underlying assumption (which I am not at all convinced is correct) that the cost of a private flight is by definition a personal cost incurred by the pilot, and that anyone else covering it is some sort of reimbursement, remuneration or reward.

EGLM & EGTN

There’s more detail to this: you can tow gliders in non-EASA (Annex 1) aircraft without needing a towing rating, e.g. clubs in the UK using the Eurofox don’t need EASA towing ratings for their tug pilots, something which I’m certain has helped the adoption of the Eurofox.

(In our particular case, the Isle of Man Government also confirmed to us that we can tow gliders in a non-certified aircraft of any registry, not just G-reg).

Last Edited by alioth at 17 Nov 12:06
Andreas IOM

Graham wrote:

Who says it’s reimbursement?

If I do you a favour and move your aircraft from A to B (say for maintenance) then there is not necessarily anything to reimburse. The fuel burned and the landing fee can perfectly reasonably be defined as your expense, not mine, even if you are 1,000nm from the aircraft at all times.

Not necessarily, no. But if you do e.g. pay for fuel out of your pocke and you get paid back by me, that’s reimbursement by definition!

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Nov 12:12

Airborne_Again wrote:

But if you do e.g. pay for fuel out of your pocke and you get paid back by me, that’s reimbursement by definition!

Sure, but without wanting to get too far into semantics on the exact meaning of the word I believe there are shades of grey here:

On the one hand, reimbursement after I have paid your costs on your behalf simply because you were not present and able to do so (a situation where, had you not been paying, I would not have done it).

On the other hand, reimbursement where the costs are otherwise mine and I have no right to expect you to pay (but I say yippee when you do).

My point being that this idea of who’s covering the costs is too complicated to write effective regulation around, and if they feel the need to regulate at all then the right way to approach it would be to regulate a payment made by a passenger.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

My point being that this idea of who’s covering the costs is too complicated to write effective regulation around, and if they feel the need to regulate at all then the right way to approach it would be to regulate a payment made by a passenger.

That’s more or less what they do, isn’t it?

In any case I think we agree than reimbursement for costs that rightfully should have been borne by someone else is unproblematic.

Great to see a good discussion already, plus some extra details I wasn’t aware of or overlooked, such as the Annex 1 glider tug option.

Really? Wouldn’t that be “only aircraft that a LAPL allows to pilot”, namely “single-engine piston aeroplanes-land/sea or TMG with a maximum certificated take-off mass of 2000 kg or less, carrying a maximum of 3 passengers, such that there are always a maximum of 4 persons on board of the aircraft.”?

I noted at the top that pilots must be rated and insured for the aircraft they are flying.
I wanted to keep it simply and avoid mentioning complex aircraft or mass above 5,700kg etc.

I was trying to distinguish between the direct costs of the flight (fuel, landing fees etc.) and additional remuneration/reward for the pilot. This could be in the form of money, free flights or other benefits. The direct costs of the flight are used when cost sharing so I agree that some portion of those would need to be paid by the pilot.

For example, when ferrying aircraft for maintenance, our club charges a reduced rate but it’s not free.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message