Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Milos LGML

Skiathos is an airport of entry???

Report back when you’ve been there. I’m currently trying to convince my wife to fly to Kefalonia this year …

I will :-) Nobody has to talk MY wife into Greece … she’d stay there all the time, and maybe one day she will … (i hope near an airport :-))

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 27 Feb 13:46

Kefalonia is a really nice place. We went there May 2012. The airport has customs but no avgas.

Any Greek island which has holiday flights going in will have customs. So most of the well known ones have. Most have avtur also. The problem is that most of them don’t have avgas.

The most beautiful Greek island is Kithira. No customs and no fuel of any kind But a “short” run from Corfu (2hrs each way).

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Feb 14:00
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How are the fees at Kerkira?

I understood that there is a hefty discount if you can show your AOPA card.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I’ve never paid anything of concern at any Greek airport.

The only pricey one is the main Athens one, LGAV, which is c. €200. That has customs, avgas and an ILS however, and huge opening hours (H24?) so you take your pick….

Yes there is a discount for AOPA members, but it is probably the cost of a plate of calamari

Administrator

Ten years ago the fees were not so bad. I did not have AOPA then (i do now) but it was okay. What’s a little disturbing is that they wanted like 9 Euros on the way down and 80 € when we flew back two days later. When I asked for a price list they told me “to get lost and not pay anything” … and so we did :-) But maybe that was bad luck, I don’t know.

No Avgas in Kefalonia is bad. But I guess it wouldn’t be a problem to get to Heraklion …. (checking)

Okay no problem: Kerkyra-Kefalonia-Herakilon is 420 NM, 50% of my fuel

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 27 Feb 14:14

All 3 Crete airports (Hania LGSA, Iraklion LGIR, Sitia LGST) have customs and avgas.

Hania has weird and onerous PPR requirements – must be checked carefully. Iraklion didn’t have avgas for most of the years I have been flying to Greece, but apparently now has. Sitia is the nicest part of Crete but has limited opening hours.

Administrator

Well, Chania, I tried to understand their website for years, i never could. At least I know Heraklion well and so I would always fly there. Although the wind on final 27 can be pretty challenging.

www.aopa.gr/info

Charges in general
Para.23

Handling
Para. 12

Athens airports
Para. 24

Crete airports
Para. 26

A general guide to Greek destinations with airports
Top left menu → Airports

atcmilatos I was almost holding myself from not mentioning about Skiathos & yourself but had to be fare and advise on best route towards Milos LGML !

Peter careful those statements with Cretan’s ! they have great pride for their city each from each one and they are not that beloved with eachother when you refer to one for the other (cities) !
IMHO Chania (LGSA) is the nicest one but Sitia (LGST) is a serene kind of city away from tourism rush.
The eastern end of Crete where its situated is really nice.
Chania has nothing weird in their PPR except that it is strictly PPR due to combined (heavy) MIL & CIV use.
As long as you PPR (see para. 19) in advance (unless there is a really big NATO exercise) they will grant you the visit.

alexisvc what Chania website ? you mean the local aeroclub www.aer.gr ?

OK thread hijacked for good (regarding Milos) LOL!

LGMG Megara, Greece

Well,

no, actually I was on some other website, because Chania Airport doesn’t even have a website (or I could not find it.

P26 says:

- Chania LGSA Air Base to the west.
A mixed use airport, Civilian, busy Hellenic Air Force & NATO base. To fly there you need to send a PPR fax (c*heck para. #19*) at least 5 working days in advance. Only Greek register aircraft are allowed to operate without PPR there and thatonly on SAT & SUN. They do have AVGAS but it has to be arranged (purchased) via the local aeroclub if available http://www.aer.gr/. Usually there is no handling charge but Olympic Airways may charge ~40 Euro’s depending on service provided.

Then you go to paragraph 19, but there’s no mention of Chania Airport in p.19. ….there’s only “Souda AB” and next to it it says* “20 days”*

I really like Greece, and esepcially Crete, and I went there ONCE YEAR the last 12 years. But it can be really tough, you know. When I wanted to fly my Piper to LGIR they told me in Kerkyra that there is absolutely “no parking space left” in Heraklion. After a 2 hour discussion and five telephoen calls they finally let us fly there, and when we arrived the whole GA area was EMPTY … not one plane! The next day I wanted to refuel the plane. The agent came and told me that Avgas was “4 Euros per Liter”. when I asked for a price list the price was lowered to 3 Euros. Well, today it’s a funny anecdore, but back then I didn’t think it was so funny.

But I will neveretheless fly down to Milos and Crete this year!

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 27 Feb 20:39
Sign in to add your message