Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Missing single engine aircraft N Sea D-EDDH

https://news.stv.tv/north/search-stood-down-for-missing-german-plane-that-lost-contact-over-north-sea?utm_source=app
Single engine aircraft disappeared on 30/9. Short search on afternoon of 2/10. Seems strange.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Between Shetland and Norway? That’s odd. Flying from Hamburg all the way to the Shetlands, non-stop, in a 172, is impossible (one is always fighting headwinds in that direction). Unless he had supplementary fuel in the cabin, which is very unlikely.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

D-EDDH is a very well known one; fairly sure I’ve seen it around the place.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Very sad news.
It would be interesting to know where in the U.K. he was heading.
When I have flown to Bergen, Norway from the U.K., (admittedly from the South East), I have always taken the circuitous anti-clockwise route over Denmark.
This is therefore nearly all overland and only 25 NM miles longer than going via The Shetlands which involves a 220 NM (cold) sea crossing.

Last Edited by Peter_G at 06 Oct 12:12
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Very odd :

The track doesn’t lead anywhere.
Departed 1028L and lost by flightwaware at 1611L. Almost 8 hours later !

The plane is even on the front page of the flight school website. link

RIP

LFOU, France

It looks like suicide.

I have seen another track which was definitely suicide and that one also went out over open sea. That one was tracked (via a device carried, possibly without the pilot knowing he had it) all the way to its demise.

ATC will know everything about this (quite likely there was no radio contact) but they won’t be talking…

Administrator

Could be. What also strikes me are the two very low speed points in the graph posted by Juju. 42kts??

Peter wrote:

ATC will know everything about this (quite likely there was no radio contact) but they won’t be talking…

Which could also explain the very swift standing down of the SAR assets. Normally they don’t stop a search that quickly.

Did it have an autopilot? Was it booked for a long flight? Pilot incapacitation while practising with the autopilot on a shorter booking might be a possibility.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Tracking sites do not produce reliable GS data, because they do it by timing the gap between samples.

With ADS-B OUT it could be a lot better though.

Administrator
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message