Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

N-reg: is the 30 day VOR check needed if you have a W box or don't use VORs?

I distinctly recall it was needed for any IFR flight, but maybe not if you have a WAAS GPS.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Didn’t you ask the same question a few months ago (see below related threads)?

IIRC the Part 91 check is required for any IFR flight that uses VOR navigation

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

I did indeed! This was the best reply.

My memory isn’t what it used to be

The practical result is that nobody needs to do VOR checks in the European IFR system – because it’s all GPS-RNAV enroute. I don’t think many people actually realise this. Yet, for some reason, US pilots diligently write them into their logbooks, but why? They all use GPS just like we do.

Administrator

Gives them something to do on long IFR flights?

EGTF, LFTF

IMHO the US ENR sytem was based on victor airways which basically was from Navaid to Naviad the definition is based on an Airway or corridor. B-RNAV or RNAV has a diffrent concept
according Wikipedia (so I don’t have to write it myself )

When VORs are less than 102 nautical miles (NM) (189 km) from each other, the airway extends 4 NM (7.4 km) on either side of the centerline (8 NM (14.8 km) total width).
When VORs are more than 102 NM from each other, the width of the airway in the middle increases to account for the increased margin of error in the VOR signal. The width of the airway beyond 51 NM from a navaid is 4.5 degrees on either side of the centerline (at 51 NM from a navaid, 4.5 degrees from the centerline of a radial is equivalent to 4 NM). The maximum width of the airway is at a designated changeover point between the two navaids, usually half way.

So if you need a Waas GPS to absolete the VOR check, basically the FAA is saying that RNAV-5 (B-RNAV) is not good enough

Last Edited by Vref at 08 Jun 14:26
EBST

Indeed, @NYCYankee nailed it : if you don’t use it then check not needed.

That said, there could arise the situation where your WAAS GPS becomes INOP, for whatever reason, and you need to rely on your VOR(s) for navigation, so best that it has been checked beforehand.

BTW, if you’re inclined to say “that’ll never happen” then might as well pull the NAV2 out completely !

Last Edited by Michael at 08 Jun 14:55
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

The problem is of course that there are many waypoints in Europe you would have problems identifying using VOR or VOR/DME only.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

The problem is of course that there are many waypoints in Europe you would have problems identifying using VOR or VOR/DME only.

Did those way-points just pop-up since the widespread use of WAAS ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Did those way-points just pop-up since the widespread use of WAAS ?

No, but when RNAV became a requirement.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This article seems clear that VOR checks are needed regardless of how you actually navigate.

More to the point, I don’t understand how it is possible for airport police to be doing logbook checks for the 30-day VOR test currency – as reported here previously by somebody who got one.

Administrator
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message