Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Near miss over Scotland

Except if GPWS says otherwise

Ok smarty....you got me :-) GPWS has priority over TCAS RAs..... But ATC do not

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Except if GPWS says otherwise

It won't because EGPWS overrides TCAS. Even if not, TCAS RAs should require less than 300ft climb or descent, so unless you are in the early stages of departure (where TCAS will only call "maintain vertical speed!" or similar) or shortly before touchdown, there will be no conflict with terrain.

EDDS - Stuttgart

It's grossly sensationalised

Sensationalised yes (and Sky News are now reporting it too with equal misinformation), but it shows that there was a pilot communication error that could have caused a major accident, because if the airprox is true as reported, the aircraft were converging.

It would be interesting to see an AAIB type report of the factual sequence to understand how much human factors were part of this (either pilots or ATC), and how much TCAS did or didnt help.

It's interesting that TCAS will only provide vertical RAs....the determination of a lateral RA based on azimuth info is deemed to be too inaccurate....I believe there is work ongoing to develop some sort of 3D RA based on ADS-B where aircraft position in space (based on GPS) is broadcast....but I think this is many years away

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

The airprox report is very good. Google airprox board. Just reading the entire last report is very interesting. Particularly all the issues in class G.

EGTK Oxford

It takes a while to find it so the URL would have helped some.

The PDF is here and start reading on page 61 of the PDF.

They did get some RAs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sure but I didn't have it to hand. I think some of the other incidents are actually more instructive for GA pilots so the whole of that document is worth a read.

EGTK Oxford

Sure but I didn't have it to hand. I think some of the other incidents are actually more instructive for GA pilots so the whole of that document is worth a read.

There are a few interesting reports in the document, and yes it does seem worth a read through.

At the risk of thread drift, I read the first Airprox discussed in that document - between a glider and an student pilot undergoing instrument flight training with the screens in place. It was noted in the report that UK training schools no longer have to use screens and that in this case their use may have affected safety, but I'm not aware of any schools which have stopped using them despite the change in CAA's position.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message