Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New forum section: IT

@Skydriller I have more chance of getting the right question to that answer than understanding this one:)

Last Edited by gallois at 02 May 20:32
France

So maybe we have to thing the other way round. What could it be?

• Video: Not enough data
  • Audio: Not enough data, even for MIDI though there must be some space efficient ringtone file formats from the times when phones were used to talk to other people.
  • Image: Maybe, probably black and white, fax comes to mind
  • Text: The 7 bits smell like ASCII, for SMS there is also 7 bit PDU (GSM contains also all kinds of other message formats)
EDQH, Germany

Hint: It’s encrypted. Your task now: Find the cipher and the key.

Reminder hint: We have already established that base64 is a valid assumption and that the garbage characters are not garbage.

Last Edited by Dimme at 02 May 20:45
ESME, ESMS

It could be just encrypted text, but all decent encryption produces data in which all byte values occur with equal probability, regardless of what known plaintext gets injected or suspected.

That the original data was (we assume) base64 encoded and, when decoded, doesn’t produce any values with the top bit set, must be indicating the encryption method, and it won’t be anything standard.

Maybe just one bit is being flipped, but it isn’t bit 7 (i.e. a XOR with 10000000) because that would convert text into values which all have the top bit set.

So how about laying out the data in binary and flipping 1 bit in each byte? The same one always.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

When you undo the base64 you get garbled up data. So the encryption must have happened prior to base64.

ESME, ESMS

Yes. Decode the original string and then look at flipping some bit.

Administrator

Dimme wrote:

Base64 doesn’t have to decode to ASCII.

It can’t be base64 as it has special characters that are not used in base64.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes it can. Trust me. I made it.

Look outside the box and try to think what you can do with those special characters. I have basically given you the solution by now.

ESME, ESMS

How about using those characters as a XOR for the string that follows each one?

Administrator
ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message