Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New UK AWO (All Weather Operations) consultation

On a quick look this appears to be mostly or wholly airline ops related, no?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

On a quick look this appears to be mostly or wholly airline ops related, no?

@Peter, no, it contains Part-NCO for sure. Plus it contains “definitions” for aerodromes that it further – for example, NPA now is min 1000m, not 800. Plus Low-Vis raised from 400m to 550m.

EGTR

Yes indeed. I didn’t look hard enough. In fact there is an absolutely vast number of amendments and it would take hours of study to see what has changed.

If NPA min DH is 1000ft, that is quite significant (albeit unenforceable).

Local copies:

Aircrew_Regulation_Only_Keeling_with_AWO_pdf
UK_Reg_EU_965_2012_AWO_Fuel_Planning_IRs_pdf
Aerodromes_Regulation_Keeling_Schedule_pdf

Administrator

Peter wrote:

If NPA min DH is 1000ft, that is quite significant (albeit unenforceable).

@Peter, sorry, RVR 1000m, MDH things are the same.

EGTR

RVR reporting.

Somebody needs to sit down and produce an Executive Summary

I used to know a guy who could go through 1000 pages in a day but he doesn’t fly anymore…

Administrator

Although you’d have to plough through the whole proposal to make certain, the wording on the CAA web site suggests that this is the same changes to the ops regs that EASA implemented after Brexit. If that is indeed the case, it is only to the advantage of light GA.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

arj1 wrote:

Plus it contains “definitions” for aerodromes that it further – for example, NPA now is min 1000m, not 800. Plus Low-Vis raised from 400m to 550m.

You are referring to the definitions in the Aerodrome regulation of first various kinds of runways and then of low-visibility operations".

This does not mean that the VIS/RVR limit for NPAs is 1000 m or that you need special authorisation to take off with 400 m RVR. There have been no changes in the Air Ops regulation (neither part-NCO nor part-SPA) in that respect.

I double-checked that there have been no such changes in the proposed new UK regulations either.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 27 Apr 11:09

You are referring to the definitions in the Aerodrome regulation of first various kinds of runways and then of low-visibility operations". This does not mean that the VIS/RVR limit for NPAs is 1000 m or that you need special authorisation to take off with 400 m RVR.

Yes these are aerodromes definitions not operational definitions

Now the interesting question, I don’t have LVTO approval to operate under 400m but I can depart >400, can I do an IFR takeoff from Elstree (EGTR) with 400m? or I need 550m? there are no Jeppesen plates for Elstree with TKOF minima listed for CAT/NCO

My limited understanding,
*Anything > 550m is ok for takeoff (as long as you can taxi)
*Anything > 550m is ok for approach and landing (as long as you see runway/ground at M/DH)
*Anything < 400m is not ok for takeoff (needs LVTO, there are two NCO guys in whole Europe who have it?)
*Anything < 550m is not ok for landing (needs CAT2, anyone operating under NCO managed to get this?)
Between 400m-550m is probably ok for takeoff but I am not sure? so my question above

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Apr 11:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Now the interesting question, I don’t have LVTO approval to operate under 400m but I can depart >400, can I do an IFR takeoff from Elstree (EGTR) with 400m? or I need 550m? there are no Jeppesen plates for Elstree with TKOF minima listed for CAT/NCO

My limited understanding,

My understanding is the same as yours except that I would say “almost certainly” and not “probably” in the last line.

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message