Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Nice places in the vicinity of Cuers (LFTF), Cote d'Azur ?

10 Posts

Might be flying to Cuers LFTF next week. Just because I have never really been in these western parts of the Cote d’Azur. The airport itself is no issue (ouvert à la CAP, tarmac runway, TOTAL pump and a restaurant on site) but I am really wondering if there any nice places (towns and beaches) within 45 minutes of driving from there…
I am getting the feeling that the nice places are all either quite a bit to the west (west of Toulon, making Le Castellet a better choice) or otherwise further east, towards St. Tropez (making Cannes the better choice)…

Anybody an expert on the Toulon and Hyères areas?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Cuers is very friendly for GA.
Restaurant « Saint Ex » is very pittoresque place, and you can feel there the beat of GA spirit.
There is quite a lot of activity, often interesting types to see and interesting people to meet.
You ll find AVGAS and overall the place is cheap.

But it is inland, lost in vineyards, and you re right that reaching « interesting towns and beaches » will be bit far. In Pierrefeu you have a big psychiatric hospital, but you may not look for that :-)

Presqu’île de Gien and St Mandrier are worth visiting. If you have time, please take the boat from gien and go visit Porquerolles: it is wonderful island, cars being almost prohibited.

To the East, things come interesting from Le Lavandou. But Cannes, or La Mole, would be better place to land.

To the West, you have le Castellet actually.

None will be as easy going (in my experience) as Cuers.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 27 May 15:04

I am based in Cuers during the summer – well we land there, but stay on the coast.

Very cheap Avgas. Circuit can be busy with the banner towing aircrafts. Locals can take a bit of time to become welcoming. If you see Richard at the gas station, mention you’re a friend of Patrick, the London based French guy with the Mirage, hopefully won’t hurt :-)

Stay well away from the western hills if it’s windy. I turn north well before the end of the runway when it’s blowing.

I strongly recommend Porquerolles, especially this time of the year. Take the boat, rent bikes, go to Fondation Carmignac if you like contemporary art. It’s also the perfect time to go to St Tropez.

Toulon isn’t very interesting to be honest.

We usually take a cab from Cuers to Toulon airport to rent a car. It’s not cheap but we haven’t found a better way, short of leaving a car all year there.

Edit: it’s not a Total pump unless they have very recently installed one, beware of the refuelling hours.

Last Edited by denopa at 27 May 18:08
EGTF, LFTF

So it must have been your PA46 I saw there ! I thought; it really looks like denopa’s one.
Funny small world.

Hopefully we’ll meet !

EGTF, LFTF

Can recommend Bandol and Sanary west of Cuers (and less than 45min by car). Moderately / small towns by sea with classic beach, beach promenade and life. These are considerably less hyped than anything from St Trop and eastwards.

Otherwise, to the East (but prob closer to 1h drive from Cuers) is Cavaliere, Rayol and Canadel. In my view small gems on the French Riviera. Much smaller, but with great beaches (less people), great coves and just a more ‘local’ feel to them. These places are less well known among Europeans, and also by French. They will not have the throngs of boutiques, bars, restaurants, nightlife but all you need and a more real feel (not so over commercialized that many places are on French Riviera, especially Eastern Part). Car definately needed. It’s all about personal taste and what you want, but do check them out. Some amazing houses (not necessarily huge) are tucked away in this area… These spots are among my favorite ones for a more quiet French Riviera visit… Enjoy! And some local celebs hanging out on Cap Negre summer time… for you to figure out…

Last Edited by Grassfield at 27 May 21:39
LSGL (currently) KMMU ESMS ESSB

Thank you all for your pointers! Didn’t really expect to get much feedback for that specfic area, so quite happy. I will do some more due dilligence and then make a plan. Weather looks good for the western Med for next week!

So how was it, did you go?

EGTF, LFTF

No, still on Mallorca, and likely not enough time left for another stop in southern France this time. Sorry…

Mallorca’s not a bad place to be spending extra time on…

EGTF, LFTF
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message