Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Night stop southern UK

Hi all

Im helping a member on his ferry flight from the US to Spain as we speak.
Right now they are enroute to EGPC (Wick)

They would like to get closer to home by making a shorter leg after Wick. So tomorrow they can do the last leg in 1 go. Max 5:30 flight time @TAS180

France seems very hard, since they departing Wick at 1800z will put them south of Paris just around midnight. Most reasonable airports need 24h PPR on Immigration.
So the better solution will be to stop in South of the UK for the night.
I have checked EGHH(Bournemouth) and Southhampton EGHI.
Both pretty expensive when it comes to handling, and EGHH has a restriction at 2130lt, otherwise a hefty penalty.
Flight time down south from Wick is about 3 hours.

Anybody have any good ideas where to stop in the South of the UK without being robbed, and that has open until say 2130-2230.
AVGAS required and a local hotel.

Espen

spirit49
LOIH

Southend, provided they land before 2200L

After that it’s still open but with a big surcharge.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I would really check some places in the very north of France instead. You might have to make a phonecall or so to arrange PPR/immigration. Those “24h” rules are almost nowhere strictly enforced if you call ahead and state your case. Beauvais doesn’t even require anything it seems and is"open" until 2300 local. Otherwise, Ostende is H24.

Southend “cutoff time” is 2300 local, I think.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Sep 13:56
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

From memory, Calais is the only airport in france with H24 custom (on request) by there website.
Never used them… Check PCL and NOTAMs

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Does anybody have any experience with Bristol/EGGD?

Any ways around the crazy handling fees?

spirit49
LOIH

Oxford EGTK any use? Open until 2230 local last time I checked. Reasonably priced, full instrument facilities. City nearby for food and bed. Nearest accommodation I found last time I checked is a pub nearby on the canal, I had a very nice lunch there once. Never tried the accommodation.

http://www.thehighwaymanhotel.co.uk

Last Edited by Joe-fbs at 23 Sep 14:40
strip near EGGW

Southend EGMC charges £200 after 2200 local. This sounds a lot but it may not be much in the context of a one off flight and the avgas burnt.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks guys

So far Oxford seems like the best bet.
Will ask the crew what they wanna do as soon as they land EGPC

spirit49
LOIH

Crew decided to take an early night today. So stopping in Wick.

For tomorrow we need some advice going south.

We need an airport in Northern France with Immigration, reasonable fees and AVGAS.

Calais seems like a pretty good option.
Is immigration available on Sundays?

spirit49
LOIH

Yes (on request), but there is no ATS currently, so it’s self-announce in French. With (English) ATS, you have Brest, Caen, Deauville, Cherbourg, Le Havre, Le Touquet, Rouen and a couple more in the very north of France, with varying PPR requirements (Deauville for example doesn’t have any).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message