Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

No IFR routing shortcut possible via another country's airspace

This is common.

The airway options were designed to make such a shortcut not possible (in the lower airspace, anyway).

Is it difficult for ATC to coordinate?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can’t say how difficult it is but Austria, Slovenia and Croatia usually give the shortcuts even before you ask for it. Flying few weeks ago from LOAN to LDZD, I got direct to ALANU (begining of STAR for LDZD) when I was still close to Graz switching from Austrian to Slovenian ATC.

Last Edited by Emir at 29 Aug 00:18
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

How did it turn out, Peter? Last weekend I had a similar situation, and Brussel Control gave me a radar vector “to shorten”. The heading brought me nicely to my destination.

I got a little shortcut across a bit of NL

https://www.autorouter.eu/track/12961XsRt

Administrator

I fly that route regularly. I tend to get the same as you. I think it’s more to do with mil activity than Beek.

Peter, usually the military airspace(s) TRA N A in Belgium / Holland are active, therefore there won´t be a shortcut available. Their usage is a lot less flexible than in Germany, where TRA´s are only active and blocked for GAT when actually needed.
Shortcuts in that area are often given when this is not the case. Beek Approach is very flexible, and I think a good direct helps the colleagues at Brussels as well, since you would stay north of their TMA.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

Similar on the way back today

https://www.autorouter.eu/track/12965sf3J

From FR24:

So the shortcuts through NL seem to work sometimes.

Administrator

Look at all that airspace you’re not allowed in…

EBST, Belgium

@airways: Excuse my stupidity but I cannot see what airspace is being meant.

@T/S: @bookworm has suggested it and @Caba went along the same lines: the EBBL airbase may be an important factor. That is an interceptor base, one of two defending our airspace.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

So maybe there is a good reason why this little bit of the NL is not so easy to cross, but I have seen this sort of thing in lots of other places which is why I wondered if there is an ATC coordination (letters of agreement) issue.

Thanks for posting that pic, @airways One could get an inferiority complex seeing the “132” under my symbol, but I had 20kt of headwind

Administrator
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message