Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Vans have made a big boo-boo: laser cut holes

as to the financial situation at Van’s right now, I found this video nicely factual and balanced:

Last Edited by Dan at 04 Nov 10:00
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Is there any heat treatment which could be used to stress-relieve the dimpled holes, so the cracks don’t propagate?

I am thinking of localised inductive heating of the rivet and the immediately adjacent material.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

any heat treatment which could be used to stress-relieve the dimpled holes, so the cracks don’t propagate?

Maybe, but not that I know of
If a crack forms (again, not talking about a new build with pre-existing cracks that formed during the building process), the only “repair” process is stop drilling the crack. Its progress can then be monitored, or a repair such as replacement, doubler, or reinforcement modification, performed. The FAA details most of the ways to deal with cracks in it’s AC 43.13-1B document, which purpose is stated as (excerpt):
This advisory circular (AC) contains methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator for the inspection and repair of nonpressurized areas of civil aircraft, only when there are no manufacturer repair or maintenance instructions. This data generally pertains to minor repairs.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

@Peter, the annealing cycle for 2024 AL is about 400 degrees Celsius for 2 hours, followed by slow cooling. And you’d meanwhile need to maintain the strength of the heat treated alloy in some of the adjacent material, by not heating it, which would be impossible for that length of time.

I had a similar situation doing shrink fits of steel components into aluminum housings, the issue being that the temperature required to expand the housing enough for a tight shrink fit was high enough to age the material to a higher temper in 30 minutes or less. I suggested we buy material in a lower temper and accept the aging. The idea was shot down… too imprecise with the oven on hand, no material certificate of conformance would apply etc. Also stress corrosion cracking issues apparently existed with some tempers and not with others etc etc. We could have done it for an Experimental application though.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Nov 17:12

Are their financial statements published somewhere?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

So, apparently the FAA has sent a letter to all DARs regarding VAN’S laser cut parts. It doesn’t appear to give specific guidance but does say, “It is recommended that when certificating potentially affected aircraft, an assessment is made as to whether there are any affected parts in the build.”

Like I was fearing this seams to already becoming a bigger issue. Just adding another unknown to a list of unknowns.

United States

What function could a DAR have on an EXP category aircraft?

On a certified, this would be massive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

On a certified, this would be massive.

They can deny an airworthiness certificate for any reason they feel the aircraft is “unsafe”.

United States

RV8Bob wrote:

apparently the FAA has sent a letter to all DARs regarding VAN’S laser cut parts

Same direction on the old continent. Learned yesterday that our NAA (FOCA) has been informed about the issue. I guess the same will happen in the different European authorities exercising positive control on the PtF issuance of homebuilts.

Last Edited by Dan at 09 Nov 16:20
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

It’s interesting to consider. FAA DARs do not inspect or approve the design of an E-AB plane prior to issuing an airworthiness certificate, but they do inspect for basic workmanship and have authority on that limited level. My guess would be that compliance with the Vans memo on the subject would satisfy a DAR, even while understanding that individual aircraft and individual builders have no official relationship with Vans, which is just an uncertified parts supplier to the E-AB builder who has a direct 1:1 relationship with FAA.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Nov 17:15
Sign in to add your message