Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR in homebuilts - UK LAA programme (merged)

“Interestingly they have set 60kg/m2 as the minimum wing loading, for stability in turbulence (IMC).”
The C172 would only just qualify, having a MTOM wing loading of 63 kg/m2. The C150, with 50 kg/m2, would not.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

An RV-7 with 200 kg of (people + fuel) is about 60 kg/m², at max it is about 72.5

I can’t remember having seen any such limit in a CS.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I suspect the aircraft that don’t get approved will often still get flown unofficially in IMC. I’ve known of a few permit aircraft regularly doing it, at least en-route; this is a problem of over-regulation – people don’t respect the regulation when it’s seen as suffocating. The wing loading issue is such an issue – aircraft like the C150 fly routinely in IMC in the United States (and probably in the UK too on a CofA) without problems, so people with similar LAA types who are otherwise capable of flying in IMC will do it on the quiet. I’m not sure that the decision the LAA is making is actually making things safer.

Andreas IOM

It’s easy to fly VFR in IMC enroute and “everybody” does it already, in everything from microlights to > 2000kg twins. The issue is purely that you end up doing it overtly when you need to depart in sub-VFR conditions (which at a CAS airport is typically cloudbase below 1500ft!) or need to fly an IAP.

Plus of course IFR approval means total access to CAS, especially if you have the full IR.

Not sure how many homebuilts fly high, however… will start a new thread on that – here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s no wonder, when people have their difficulties to comply with rules, that obviously don’t make any sense – myself excluded of course

Last Edited by europaxs at 08 Oct 11:03
EDLE

This may be new.

Also these two docs have been published TL2.27 TL2.28

I have had these, or some earlier version, for at least two years but they were not for publication.

Administrator

Good news

As Peter predicted my Jodel D140 isn’t on the latest draft of 2.27.

However I’ve been in touch with engineering at the LAA today, who have confirmed in writing, that it is ‘off the list’ because it is covered in table 1 as a type certified design previously certified for IMC or night – despite the fact that my example is home built.

The UK LAA IFR programme has moved forward with this CAA announcement

Obviously the key paragraph is “The change of policy will allow owners of LAA ‘Permit’ aircraft to apply to the organisation for permission for night and/or IFR operations. The LAA will then base their decision on design criteria for the aircraft type and continuing airworthiness assessments.” and I don’t know how much of the guidelines have been made public. All the docs I saw over the past 2-3 years were confidential. However two came out – see my post above and these ought to be reasonably close, AFAICT.

Administrator

That’s a great result. Many thanks to all those involved.

Top Farm, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message