Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Microlight / Ultralight up to 600 kg MTOW

The other drawback is the need for EASA compliant maintenance and the use of certified equipment. Where ‘certified’ does not always mean more reliable. We’ve discussed before the fact that Rotax certified and uncertified engines are exactly the same except for some paperwork.

Having said that, indeed some UL manufacturers have certified/ are certifying their designs under CS23 so they see a market for it (use for training for instance). I understand there are very little or no modifications needed to upgrade, just testing and paperwork..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

The other drawback is the need for EASA compliant maintenance and the use of certified equipment.

That was exactly the point I made to the guy who told me (who works in certification).

If I recall his reply correctly, it was that the manufacturers issue an EASA-1 anyway as it doesn’t cost them anything extra. Of course that assumes the mfg is a 145 company to start with, which AFAIK is not a requirement for UL parts. There is a way to issue an EASA-1 form by “renting” another company’s 145 approval, and there is this exemption.

some UL manufacturers have certified/ are certifying their designs under CS23 so they see a market for it (use for training for instance).

It would be interesting how many such training flights, with 2 persons, would be legally loaded. Private flying is one thing but schools can’t really bend the rules. IIRC, that was one issue with the Cessna 162, which was 600kg too and would have been over MTOW with two average size people.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

how many such training flights, with 2 persons, would be legally loaded
They are closer to legality, and actually possible, than the same plane with the same 2 people within the UL 450kg framework (unless both are ultra-skinny)(ie I am disqualified).

ESMK, Sweden

Example:

Empty weight: 370 kg (that’s on the high side of an UL being converted to CS23 LSA, my UL weighs 335 kg and would probably qualify unmodified).
Student plus instructor: 180 kg

That leaves:

1) 3 kg for a proper stick to beat the student into submission after his repeated mistakes

2) 47 kg of mogas, which is 70 liters or about 4 hours of endurance

my UL weighs 335 kg and would probably qualify unmodified

The Bristell? Nope.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

The Bristell? Nope.

@mh As you will know there is a ‘HD’ version (stronger wing spar). The version of the HD that flies in the the US as an LSA is good for 600 kg MTOM. That version has a slightly bigger wing span and a fixed prop. HD versions with a smaller wing span (mine) fly in the UK as a microlight kit with 600 kg as well as in CZ, I believe. The other parameters that go with the 600 kg uplift (stall speed, take-off distance) can easily be met.

I may be overlooking something, so I’m interested in your analysis.

Last Edited by aart at 27 Apr 14:40

aart wrote:

as well as in CZ, I believe

Yes, that’s correct. Actually, the new Czech regulations will allow the aircraft between 472.5 and 600 kg to be registered under LAA or under CAA at owner’s option, and there seems to be a healthy competition between the two – the implementation arrangements are still being finalised, but the CAA guy in charge of certification (who also happens to be the chairman of our local flying club at LKBU) says he wants to make it as straightforward as possible.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

aart wrote:

I may be overlooking something, so I’m interested in your analysis.

The LSA has one meter more wingspan than the ULM. There are furthermore substantial structural changes for the certified VLA.

Last Edited by mh at 04 May 11:20
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

aart wrote:

I understand there are very little or no modifications needed to upgrade, just testing and paperwork.

I read in a French paper magazine that Pipistrel had to make modifications to their Virus SW (IIRC) to make it pass spin testing, which I understood as “the ultralight version cannot exit a spin”. Which kinda made me feel somewhat safer in a new certified than in a new ultralight.

ELLX

Which kinda made me feel somewhat safer in a new certified than in a new ultralight.

They are. There is no such thing as “just paper” in certification of aircraft.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
Sign in to add your message