Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Osprey 2 registration issue

Peter wrote:

Well, you get my drift

I think I do, but the FAA still has a say in these matters and if it’s outside the US, then the DAR will have the say …

The airworthiness authority for when the owner is the builder is the owner.
The airworthiness authority for when the owner is not the builder is an A&P.
So the DAR should just need an A&P to sign the thing off, and then the DAR can add his $2000 signature

In the certified system, the IA signs it off (usually at an Annual inspection) and then the DAR adds his $2000 signature…

That’s no longer the case – Only an “100 Hour” Inspection is required for application for a new AW Cert, including acft reg’d in the “Normal” Category.

Also, would it be relevant if the aircraft was never properly removed from the US reg and just placed on the Italian reg? In the certified system, you need an Export CofA (subject to some obscure exceptions e.g. a type provably originally built to US specs, which is how I did mine).

An “Export C of A” is NOT required is the acft in question has already had an FAA AW Cert issued to it in it’s past.
That’s why 9 times out of 10 an Export Cert is not required since 9 out of 10 legacy acft are US built. One of those exceptions of course is Socata, hence your need to obtain the Export Cert.

Last Edited by Michael at 15 Jul 10:59
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Actually I didn’t – I got the magic letter from a Madame Klinka of the DGAC – but this is off topic here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think the key issue here is that the aircraft is on N-register, now, regardless of its sojourn into the world of Italian ultralights – an Italian Aero Club registration that can likely be forgotten if that’s convenient. To resume operations on its N-number, It needs an FAA issued original copy of the airworthiness certificate to be displayed, and that may exist in the aircraft records, and it needs a registration certificate issued by FAA in the current owners name, which requires a very simple bill of sale form sent to FAA. Then it needs a condition inspection logbook entry signed off by the original builder or any A&P.

I’d try to make contact with the original builder and/or last US owner, if they’re still with us.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Jul 13:50

Silvaire wrote:

It needs an FAA issued original copy of the airworthiness certificate to be displayed, and that may exist in the aircraft records

True, but if it is not available then a DAR will be needed to re-issue a duplicate.

Problem is there is a very real risk that the DAR may not consider the acft to be airworthy.

Last Edited by Michael at 15 Jul 13:59
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message