Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

NTSB - Introduction of Glass Cockpit Avionics into Light Aircraft

What ATC sometimes does is issue a direct to the IF, which is fine. What I don’t know though is whether they do that also when this would result in a substantial turn at the IF (no hold is usually published at the IF…)

In the US, they may clear an aircraft direct to an IF as long as the angle between the IF and the course to the FAF does not exceed 90 degrees. They may also clear an aircraft to a step down fix between the IF and the FAF as long as the angle does not exceed 30 degrees. In both cases, ATC is required to notify the pilot 5 NM prior to the fix of their intention to clear the aircraft to the fix. They do a poor job of following this directive.

KUZA, United States

In the US, they may clear an aircraft direct to an IF as long as the angle between the IF and the course to the FAF does not exceed 90 degrees.

That makes sense. On one occasion, when I was coming from the “wrong” direction, they first vectored me onto the “right” side and later cleared me direct to the IF. Still much shorter than flying the full procedure starting at the IAF.

They may also clear an aircraft to a step down fix between the IF and the FAF as long as the angle does not exceed 30 degrees.

In the previously mentioned case, the angle was indeed slightly smaller than 30 degrees and a vector onto the IF—>FAF leg would have been fine, but they clearly vectored me onto the extended final approach course instead…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Apr 22:20
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message